Narrowband

Stellarium operated goto mounts

For 0.10.3 no ascom drivers or external software needed - I aligned and set the parameters on the handset before starting stellarium - I just assumed that was the method to use - the stellarium wiki is out of date on it so far (still on 0.10.2) and still talks about running external telescope drivers which is not necessary with 0.10.3 - unless of course you want to.

great, so i should be ok to delete all my ascom programs then, will that be ok as i1m not sure.

cheers rob

Make sure you still have the installers in case you want to revert. I installed on my lappy with none of the ascom drivers and only the Stellarium stand alone scope server which it turned out was not necessary although I started it up the first time but the default Stellarium driver configuration ignored it* The next time I didn't bother starting the external server and it all still worked fine.

* You can still use the external servers if you prefer as long as you configure stellarium plugin to use them but if the arent needed why bother...

hi all

just a update

got the serial to usb adapter cable today put the divers in the laptop runing windows7

plugged it allin started Stellariumscope kept coming up no telescope found

after changing com ports etc still no telescope found

away after a few cups of tea i add a brain wave

i rebotted the laptop and run Stellariumscope again

and it all now works great

cheers steve

well done, great when i works, took me best part of the day when i first installed 10.2 with all the software, i.e. ascom drivers and stellarium scope,

rename the stellarium scope cross to something funny and it looks great wizzing across the monitor

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have tried everything and still can't get the thing to work, have deleted everything, cleaned the registry and reinstalled just Stellarium 10.3. After reboot, started the scope up and then started Stellarium, still nothing, where am I going wrong lol.

Jim

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post that if anyone here has a Mac, they ought to try Equinox 6 planetarium software. It connected to my SynScan goto mount with no problems at all. No driver downloads or anything. Worked first time.

It's well worth a look, and they guy who's writing the software is really helpful with any questions you might have.

Stuart

After many frustration hours I need to ask a question. I have plugged the cable into the handset, now what should be showing on the handset screen, at the moment it has "Advanced GT" should I be doing something else beside just switching on and setting up?

Jim

First update Stellarium to 10.4. Run Stellarium and go to the configuration window (press f2). Go to plugins and then telescope control. Tick the box marked load at startup and then restart Stellarium with the telescope connected up to your laptop. Press f2 again and go back to telescope control and select configure, from here you can select the comm port and telescope mount.

Peter

Okay, have upgraded the programme and followed the instructions and still zilch. The telescope window say it is connected but am not sure. I have used the simulation now and that works perfectly so nothing wrong with the programme. The Com Port is 2 and the settings are 9600,8,N,1,N, can anyone tell me what port settings they are using?

Jim

here`s what i do using 10.3 or 10.4 version of Stellarium, there is now no need to find and load any Ascom drivers, Stellarium will now do all of it for you.

1. load Stellarium

2. click on configuration on the left hand side with your mouse pointer

3. then click on plugins

4. then click on Telescope controls

5. at the botom click on "load at startup"

6. click configure

7. click configure again

my settings are,

Stellarium, directly through a serial port,

start connect at startup,

serial port = com 1

device model = Celestron Nexstar (compatible)

when all this is done close down laptop,

start mount and do all the settings as you would done for a normal operation using the hand controller i.e. polar aligning and setting date and time and so on,

plug in your rs 232 cable to the handset and pc or laptop, fire it up and start Stellarium, it should now be o.k.

hope it helps

Rob

Edited by red dwalf

Thanks lads, yes have a usb to serial and designated as Com 1, Stellarium setup on Com 1 as well. One thing that does happen in Stellarium, when I start it the telescope part starts auto, if I do anything like configure telescope it stops the connection and then I have to restart the programme again because the telescope refuses to start. I don't believe myself that the connection is true, by this I mean that I have started Stellarium and the telescope was shown as connected but the cable was not connected to the computer. I think my problem is the Com ports and I will have to go back to the drawing board :) .

Jim

I have asked SWMBO to leave her puter on and I will install Stellarium and the serial adapter on it and see what happens.

Edited by The Sailor

Hi all, yes have changed the Com ports, a few times :( , and I purchased the USB adapter locally, I believe theres no problem there. Just to chuck another problem into the melting pot I went out late last night and powered up inputting the info as normal and as I had done a Polar align earlier and had not moved anything I just asked it to slew to the moon, it went completly in the opposite direction!!! Turns out once I power down I lose all my home info, so am now trawling to get answers, will be back :)

Jim