Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Colchester!

Astro Adj

Hi everyone,

I've been something of a lurker here for a little while, but after finally taking the plunge and buying my first scope on Monday I thought it was high time I registered!

I bought a Sky Watcher 130PM with the motorised EQ2 mount and a set of Bresser 10x50 bino's. I absolutely couldn't wait to get out and use them, and on Thursday night I took the scope to a decent site and set about observing. Only at that point did I realise I hadn't any idea how to go about it! Even so, I did manage to view Polaris and what I think was Altair really well.

Now that I've had time to read through the instructions properly I'm amazed I saw anything at all! I mistook the alzimuth and altitude controls for the RA / declination ones and made a number of other mistakes. However this has only increased my interest and I can't wait to get out there again now that I know how to get my scope correctly aligned!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to learning more and more about this fascinating subject and will keep an eye out for any meets in my area in the future.

Cheers!

Adrian

Welcome to the forum Adrian,

With the return of the darker nights you certainly picked the

right time of the year to buy a telescope thats for sure.

Don't worry about making mistakes I'm sure we've all been in

that boat, you'll certainly find the forum a great place

for information and help so ask away with any questions.

Kathleen

:) Hi from me too - its a good scope you have there. Little tip - its best to mess about with it in daylight and get familiar - that way you get less stressed when its pitch black and saves you fumbling around and getting frustrated.

Hi Adrian

Nice to see someone local! I'm from the Sudbury area.

I've found a pretty good darksite halfway between colchester/sudbury if your interested. I've taken my 130pm there a few times and only been hassled by a few deer (god that was scary before I figured out what the big rustling objects in the dark were...)

J

Thanks again for all the welcomes!

I've been experimenting with the scope today (as recommended by Astro_Baby - thanks!) and feel much more confident about being able to use it a little more effectively now. I also discovered my red dot finder was way off, hopefully I've corrected it now. I've spent some time familiarising myself with star charts and Stellarium and just can't wait to get out there again! I've identified two main targets for my next observing session - Jupiter and the Andromeda galaxy. I'm desperate to see my first planet and the thought of viewing another galaxy is difficult to put into words!

J - sounds good! I went to Highwoods country park last time which was pretty good and only 5 mins away from me. However the light from the town was still quite apparent, I suppose I'd have to go somewhere really dark to appreciate the difference! If you could let me know roughly where to go that's be great! I can imagine the deer would have been quite scary, although I suppose they were probably pretty terrified themselves! :)

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I'll PM you a good local darksite, I was there a few weeks back and could see the "milky way" band, obviously not like the pictures you'll see on here, but I could clearly make out the distinct black "band" overhead. There is little light pollution (maybe a few houses off in the distance) but thats about it

Pretty much any of the back roads around Nayland/Bures/Leavenheath are good, does anyone know of any particular "rules" regarding darksites? (actualyl I'll open a new thread and ask)

Have fun!

Thanks - it does indeed look like a good site! I took a drive out there yesterday afternoon and can't wait to return with the scope! I've also been thinking about going to the roads surrounding Lindsey, my brother lives there and has often commented how brilliant the stars appear from his house. It's not too far from Hadleigh which I don't think is a massive distance from you.

I'll try both and let you know how I get on. Thanks again for the tip, I'll keep my eye out for the post about dark sites!

Cheers,

Adrian

Nice one Adrian,

I work in Hadleigh, some of the back roads out towards Lindsey and through to Lavenham are quite quiet / no street lights etc. If you check google maps, around that area is probably the largest "patch" not close to any major towns

Also, some of those areas are slightly more elevated, which may give a wider view ie no trees blocking objects low on the horizon

Good luck!

Hi Adrian, nice to have you in the community. You're one of us now wa ha ha ha (evil vincent price laugh....). Give it a while (and while certainly not necessary) and if the bug really hits, remember that green foldy stuff you put in your wallet? You can say goodbye to all that!!

James - excellent! I've asked my brother to keep an eye on the sky, I'm trying to decide now whether a Meteor Party I've planned will be better out Lindsey way or at the other site. I'll let you know how we get on!

Hi Dean - thanks for the tip! I have to admit I was looking rather lustily at the new Skyliner Dobsonian (with tracking!) in this month's Sky at Night magazine. But first I have a lot of work to do with my 130PM - no point running before I can walk!

Bob - I was thinking of a similar place. I don't know the area that well though, perhaps I'll go on a scouting run soon. I went to the roads near the Abberton resovoir but it seems they're pretty popular with the petrolhead community, and bi-xenon headlights racing past every few minutes probably wouldn't be conducive to decent viewing!

Cheers,

Adrian

Archived