Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any good?

I see its ending soon.....all i can add is dont buy it till you get a positive response from here.....I think im not mistaken as to say that you get quite a lot of those exact same scopes on ebay, so if it is any good (which I doubt) then there will be more along...

Kain by the way.....what are mamma clouds and when can you expect to see them ?

Ive just seen the guy's feedback, so I think I will avoid the seller like the plague.

Mamma (mammatus) usually form on the underside of Cumulonimbus (CB) clouds, more precisely on there Anvils (Incus)

Basically its when the cold air suddenly sinks out of a thunderstorm rapidly, which creates those bulges (names after a certain part of the female anatomy)

The best chance to see them is after a thunderstorm or hail storm, I have a few more pics of Mamma that I have taken, I'll post them up in the off topic forum.

Theres is other clouds and situations Mamma can form, but there quite rare.

Kain

To be honest if you want to buy a half decent telescope then you are going to have to throw some serious money at it. A few hundred pounds will buy you a good quality starting scope. But you need to know what objects interest you as different scopes do different things.

You make me feel like hitting my scope with a sledge hammer and saying forget it...

Kain

Now why would you do that?

You got in for a rather low cost AND got results. You surely haven't used up the 'scope that you have yet because the weather has been rubbish, it doesn't get dark in spring (as in right now) you haven't had a go at M42 or M31 (winter only target M42, later on in the year M31)...

If you want a better 'scope you need to spend more money. Simple as.

To get seriously into this hobby you need to start throwing money about like it's going out of fashion, lets say a grand at least, if you want all the bells and whistles you can start by doubling that.

To get a 'scope that will actually work and let you see some of the stuff up there, well you already did that.

The good news is that there is no shortage of things in the sky to look at, all you need is a dark clear sky, and all the money in the world won't guarantee you that in the UK. The bad news is that we all get fed up with the clouds, lack of dark in summer, cold in winter etc. etc.

Now for an idea - get yourself some Baader film and take a peek at the sun seeing as how its almost summer. Your 'scope will be more than adequate and the cost will be rather lower than getting a new 'scope.

READ ABOUT THIS A LOT

DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS OR USE ANY FILTER NOT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR LOOKING AT THE SUN WITH A TELESCOPE.HTH

Captain Chaos

Thats very true CC, I guess I'm just being abit aprihensive when people keep saying my scope is Rubbish (probably is compared to the stuff you lot have)

So far I have only managed to see Jupider and the moon, theres a whole sky to see as you say!

Kain

Do you see the manufacturers name on the ad?

Try hunting for Event Horizon scopes on Google (other search engines are available!)

1/8th wave optics for £56!!!!

Kain, you are absolutely right to keep asking. If you don't, you want learn - and that what we are here for :D

CC's idea is a good one, but there is no need to rush. The stars aren't going anywhere....

To be honest Daz, I have no idea which brand names are any good, and which are utter pants, bit of a learning curve really, but Rome wasn't built in a day :D

Polar alignment though, may I ask how you do that?

Kain

Had me going there with the first nine words.

I've told the Missus to get me one of those but every time she goes on Amazon's website she forgets. I'm not allowed to go there as I might accidentally see how much she spends. It could be as high as twenty quid - scandalous.

Captain Chaos

Archived