Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 12" Dobsonian

arad85

I'm not planning on getting a telescope at the moment as I have a lot to learn first, but based on what I know so far If I did get one tomorrow it would be a dobsonian with no computers for simplicity, a 12" as that's the largest that is portable for me , and a Revelation because of value for money and the fact that is is a solid tube which is simpler and cheaper than the flexitubes  (less set up complications, no extra light shroud to have to buy and setup, you can do solar viewing without worrying about light coming through the sides, and it feels like there's less chance of dropping something on the primary mirror by mistake! I think I'd prefer those advantages compared to the extra portability of the flextubes... and what I saved on computers, tripod mounts, flextubes, and mirror quality (or maybe not mirror quality having read this thread) would probably go on good eyepieces and filters instead.

Having said that I'm sure I will go through may phases of different thoughts before (if) I actually get a telescope and anyway I may not have all the pros and cons correct and I've probably only scratched the surface of what they all are!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived