Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 12" Dobsonian

arad85

Many thanks to Arad85 for this very comprehensive review. On the basis of this report, I purchased my own Revelation 12” just before Xmas.

I am very happy with this new scope. It was delivered next day despite half the roads being covered in think snow. All the pieces were well packed and I managed to assemble the scope fairly easily despite the fact that there were no instructions. (I notice that Arad85’s scope was accompanied with assembly instructions).

I was worried about it taking up too much space in the house, but it stands neatly in the corner of my study. It doesn’t look out of place at all. One thing I like about this design compared to the truss design dobsonians is that the mirror is completely enclosed, and so this should help to keep the mirror clean of dust.

Since it arrived, there haven’t been many clear nights, but I did get a glimpse of the Pleiades a few nights ago before the clouds came over. The views were stunning.

The only other scope I can compare it with is a small Vixen reflector (114mm) which I purchased in 1992 in Australia. That scope cost me over AUS$1000. The Revelation cost me £440 and yet it has 3x the aperture. I suppose this is an indication of how things have changed over the last few years in terms of ‘aperture cost’.

The only thing I was somewhat disappointed with is the field of view, which I calculate to be 1.4 degrees. I suppose with a 1500 mm focal length it was never going to be very wide even with the 2” x 30 mm Superwide angle (70 degrees apparent FOV) EP that Revelation provides. Can anybody recommend an EP for this scope that will give me a much wider FOV?

By the way, since I purchased the scope I have bought an Orion collimating eyepiece from the same supplier. With both purchases I have found Telescope House to be professional and reliable.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
..The only thing I was somewhat disappointed with is the field of view, which I calculate to be 1.4 degrees. I suppose with a 1500 mm focal length it was never going to be very wide even with the 2” x 30 mm Superwide angle (70 degrees apparent FOV) EP that Revelation provides. Can anybody recommend an EP for this scope that will give me a much wider FOV?

I used a 31mm Tele Vue Nagler with my 12" Meade Lightbridge and that gave a 1.7 degree true field of view which is about as wide as you can go. Expensive but very impressive views. The trouble is if you go for longer focal length eyepieces in an F/5 scope the exit pupil gets rather large.

So in reality I don't think there is an eyepiece that will give you "much wider" views - just a bit wider than you have now.

I can't say much about comparison of quality with other scopes. All I can say is that the quality of the Revelation is very good indeed. I think the scope is made by GSO in Taiwan who seem to have a pretty good reputation as manufacturers.

By the way , I think I stated that it cost me £440 from Telescope House. I should correct this. Ex VAT it cost £433.91. With VAT it cost me £499.00. There were no shipping costs and delivery took approx 24 hours (FedEx: T.Wells to North East Cheshire). I was able to track its progress on the FedEx website!

I understand that the Revelation is made by GSO in Taiwan. So are the Meade Lightbridge's. They use the same mirrors and the same mirror cells - the examples I've seen certainly look identical.

Their optical and mechanical quality is very similar to Synta / Skywatcher scopes as far as I can tell. I won't get into the debate about how the optics compare to Orion Optics scopes !.

How are the eyepieces that come with it, they look very similar to the set that I bought in Stockport. I think the labelling is different, but the shape and size look the same :)
I didn't use the 9mm much. The 30mm is OK - at F/5, it does do some gullwinging in the last 30% of the eyepiece or so.

That is a mighty tempting telescope. £499 is a great price when you consider how much the Skywatcher, Orion USA, Meade and Orion Optics 12" dobs sell for. I wish i had that sort of money, would love a 12" dob again.

Russ

Hi Matt,

I had the Meade Starfinder 12.5. It was a beast, the tube was a real heavyweight. But it still wasn't much hassle to setup and the views were well worth it. M76 with the Ultrablock filter was like looking at M27 in a smaller scope.....very impressive. :)

Russ

The widest FOV you'll get on a budget is probably something like the Moonfish (or clones) 30mm 80 deg UWA. Quite cheap to pick up 2nd hand and not a lot lost if you find the distorion around the outside too bad. Personally I preferred to settle on a Meade Series 4000 2" 32mm SWA that i picked up 2nd hand as a bargain (IMO) on here as the reduced distortion meant I could comfortably use a wider field.

A fine report. Thanks for the read. Your description of the C9.25 SCT images as compared with the Dob really do ring true for me. I have a 10 inch Meade here and it has its place, it's not at all bad, but that 'something murky', that lack of what you call 'pop' really hits the spot for me in describing something not quite exciting about the view. Pure optical designs, apo refractors and Newtonians, have a vibrant quality that really engages you with the depths of space. And lets not forget that your SCT is probably the pick of the bunch.

What a lot os scope you can now get for your money. We are dead lucky.

Olly

Thanks for the very kind words Olly :) Adding a 13mm Ethos and 31mm Nagler has transformed my visual - widefields on this dob are amazing and if the sky is good enough, it's pretty easy to star hop anywhere. The SCT is now a planetary imaging only 'scope....

The widest FOV you'll get on a budget is probably something like the Moonfish (or clones) 30mm 80 deg UWA. Quite cheap to pick up 2nd hand and not a lot lost if you find the distorion around the outside too bad. Personally I preferred to settle on a Meade Series 4000 2" 32mm SWA that i picked up 2nd hand as a bargain (IMO) on here as the reduced distortion meant I could comfortably use a wider field.

Thanks for this information., Haitch. I have read elsewhere that there is a considerable amount of distortion with the Moonfish at f5. It might be worth waiting a little while until I can save up for the much more expensive Nagler. From what others have said, it would seem to be worth waiting.

... on the other hand, I just found this advertised on SGL:

"MEADE SERIES 4000 32 mm SUPER WIDE ANGLE EP 2" fitting , LNIB & with Meade bolt case & box. NOTE: - Made in JAPAN.

£100 plus postage, collection welcomed"

What sort of FOV would I get with that? (focal length 1520mm)

John

Meade Series 5000 Ultra Wide Angle

"MEADE SERIES 4000 32 mm SUPER WIDE ANGLE EP 2" fitting , LNIB & with Meade bolt case & box. NOTE: - Made in JAPAN.

£100 plus postage, collection welcomed"

What sort of FOV would I get with that? (focal length 1520mm)

Well I'm no expert at figuring it out looking at the sky but Newtwin tells me in my f4.5 14" (about the same focal length as yours) true FOV should be 1.4 degrees or so.

It's the best eyepiece I have owned so it could be that I'm not missing what I never had but I love the view through mine and these Japanese models are apparently highly regarded and more equivalent to the newer 5000 series.

• 2 weeks later...

A very interesting report; many thanks for taking the time and effort.

This report and now Telescope House's latest prices have got me seriously thinking!!

One question though. Could anyone please tell me the eyepiece height above ground when at the zenith? I'm only a little guy!!

One question though. Could anyone please tell me the eyepiece height above ground when at the zenith? I'm only a little guy!!
Scope pointing vertically upwards and the centre of the eyepiece is 4'10" off the ground.

Unless you're less than 5ft, I'd be more worried about the 20+kg each of the mount/tube.

Right, I've made my decision and am going for a Revelation. I now have a Skywatcher 8" Dob for sale, but as this is only my post No 3, I cannot start a "For Sale" thread.

If it's not breaking any rules, here's a link to it on UK Astro Buy & Sell:-

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Mods, if it's breaking rules, please delete.

If it's any help (ie. if rules can be bent) I post regularly on the Airgun Forum with a total of 3245 posts. I am genuine and the 'scope is a good one!

AirgunBBS.com

Right, I've made my decision and am going for a Revelation. I now have a Skywatcher 8" Dob for sale

The Skywatcher is now sold, to a member of our local society.

The Revelation will be ordered this week.

Can anyone please tell me the O/D of the collimation screws, so I can try and organise some stronger springs without going to Bob's Knobs and waiting for the mail?

Archived