Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cocoon - what a nightmare

Parallax

The problems started a few nights ago. I set everything up as normal and waited for the first 5 min sub to come in. Great. Then set it to just keep on taking 5 min subs. 2nd sub comes in - much fainter and halos around the stars. I know what that is - the chip has misted up. Removed camera and filter wheel (they are screwed together), separated the two and demisted the chip. Put it all back together. Took a test shot - really elongated stars. I know what that is - camera on the wonk. Removed it, replaced it - still the same. This went on until I got fed up. Next night, just the same. So yesterday I brought the scope indoors, checked nothing was loose (the 2" eyepiece holder may have been a bit loose), recollimated and hoped all would now be well. The result is below. Something still not quite right but much, much better.

Image: Explorer 200, Atik 16ic-s, 12nm Ha filter

Guide: ST80, QHY5, Maxim

Process: Maxim, PSCS

Steve

post-14051-133877388426_thumb.jpg

Looks alright to me Steve. Thats a good image with tons of data.

Its not much fun when stuff goes wrong in a session, Im simplifying my rig and set up procedures slowly to cut down on the chances for problems, but I still get em

Philj

Nice image Steve, shame about the stars, but the problem isnt too bad as you say, it can drive you mad though cant it! Any chance the collimation got knocked out or anything like that?

There is great detail in this, would you mind if I borrowed this one and added it to my RGB version and then post the results if they are pleasing?

Thanks

TJ

Cheers guys, you're too kind :)

It looks pretty good to me, the stars on the upper right are a bit elongated but plenty of detail in the neb.:)

Sam

The elongated stars - I'm on the case!

There is great detail in this, would you mind if I borrowed this one and added it to my RGB version and then post the results if they are pleasing?

Thanks

TJ

Certainly TJ, you can do whatever you like.

Steve

Archived