cigar lighter problem ?

Today my mains power supply packed up so I plugged the lead from my Celestron cg-5 gt goto mount into my cars cigar lighter, when I used the buttons on the handset to move the scope the motors seemed to increase in speed for a split second as though they were jumping if you know what I mean, do you think this is something to do the the car battery power supply ? I have used this method before when I first got the scope briefly and all seemed fine, very worrying I hope it`s not the mount.

any help please, cheers Rob

Rob, if your car battery is fully charged, then the voltage at your scope should be no more than 12.8V. This should not be a problem for the electronics. Not sure why the motors would seem to jump, unless there is a bad connection somewhere, introducing a voltage drop under heavy load.

just a note, have managed to locate the problem,after messing with the mount yesterday i noticed that the motors only seemed to jump or slip when the scope was mounted, very strange, so i opened up the dec motor covers and noticed that the motor gears were not teethed together proberley so a quick adjustment, easy to do only one allan key to adjust, and now seems alot better, had not problems as yet, but i did notice that the ribbon that holds the wires from the dec input to the motor had been rubbing on a spindle that comes out of the bottom of the motor and had worn away alittle so if you have one of these mounts you may want to check it out, good job i did any longer and it could have slit the wires.

Archived