UHC versus O-III filter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice report AB !.

UHC and OIII filters certainly do vary widely in their band pass width and therefore the way they perform. My current OIII is an Astronomik which has a wider band pass than the Baader OIII I had previously used - consequently I find the Astronomik an excellent "single filter solution" with both my 12" dob and my 4" refractor wheras the Baader was just too severe for my taste in the 4".

It's not too easy to accurately assess the band pass width before you buy either - I've studied loads of band bass graphs but they are too often drawn to different scales and are rather vague so not much help.

Good reviews of actual performance in scopes (like this one) are very helpful.

John

ps to get that report I suffered terribly you know. It was c-o-l-d out there, the dew was atrocious and I was so intent on what I was doing I didn't spot how cold I was. Frozen stiff by the time I finished up I can tell you and I still had to pack the scope up, drive for 2 hours and then lug the scope up 8 flights oif stairs and unpack it all to let it dry out after the dew attack.

But I shrugged it all off to bring you SGL folk the eyewitness report.:eek:

None of this lounging about in a comfy obs with some imaging kit and a warm computer and comfy slippers- its rough and tough out there on a lonely hillside with just the stars as company :)

I'm thinking of an electrically heated suit for winter :D.

Wow :) you are one tough Astronomer Mel ( must find a medal for Mel :p.

Thanks for the report. I bought a Lumicron OIII a few years back specificaly to view the Veil, not really tried it on any thing else.

• 1 year later...

Very interesting! Perhaps I read or scrolled too fast but I didn't notice if any of these reviews comment about Lumicon filters? I have (2) UHC and Deep Sky filters from Lumicon. I haven't tried an OIII yet but I like my UHC allot! It's "older" but a "gooder"! I use the Deep Sky when I'm near city lights and it seems to produce greenish stars but it does cut down light pollution quite well. Next time I'll read more slowly and look at more pages just to be sure I get all the "dope" on on these filters. I also noted that you folks across the pond have a lot of Sky Watcher scopes? Always look up!..JMR

Many thanks for that AB and appreciate your efforts in bring this evidence to our attention. A little while back there was a link posted on a similar experiment that might be useful to include here

Its a bit long but it does make useful reading to assist further contemplation.

James

Archived