SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

wow, looking like another great night.

Catanonia

Yeah the mess office isn't perfect, what people forget is that it is very very rare we get perfect skies clear ALL night.

BBC web site said what I had clear patches over my area during the night, free from cloud and some cloud patching in. Well with the winds recently, they tend to move on pretty darn quickly and only loose a few mins waiting.

Keep subs for imaging to 5 mins or less and you get a good chance.

Pretty cloudy here, and lots of moisture in the air too. I'm on my 5th 20min sub so far, but none have been very good quality wise, and it's no good going shorter in OIII wavelengths. Just hope the worst of the cloud patches have gone now

If you are still set up, use a hair dryer gently to clear the dew, and repeat every 15 mins or so.

You'll definetly need dew strip heater tapes, it will only get worse as the season progresses

If you are still set up, use a hair dryer gently to clear the dew, and repeat every 15 mins or so.

You'll definetly need dew strip heater tapes, it will only get worse as the season progresses

please recommend me a cheap simple non complicated solution for dew heaters.

Seen many on the web costing hundreds for something than can be done for pennies.

10:30pm...clear with receeding clouds

11:00pm...clouds coming back in again

11:30pm...clouds receeding with 60% clear sky. Telescope armed, M13 was the first target, was looking good. Jupiter "seeing" was pretty awful.

12:00am...70% high cloud cover and a spot of rain.

I gave up........:)

Was great here too... In fact we spent most of the night with eyeball mk1 as the milky way was just about out here :D Saw a number of satellites - including something tumbling along - not sure what that was - and a couple of comets. Having said that, the C9.25 was set up, and we did "do" the double double in Lyra, M13 - lovely, M81 - just a blob as usual, Jupiter - I could see 4 darker bands on the planet as well as 4 moons - it was so bright, I even put a moon filter on the eyepiece to avoid temporary blindness! and my first glimpse of Uranus (oo err...) :) Out after Woss, back in at 2:15 when the battery died :p

I saw Jupiter for the first time, and what a site it was, I was going to attempt to align my C6 NGT, but just looked at Jupiter instead, but I was in the middle of aligning and trying to find Vega, hmm couldnt see anything bright, I think next time I got to make sure its polar aligned properly, which is difficult as the lense is so small...

please recommend me a cheap simple non complicated solution for dew heaters.

Seen many on the web costing hundreds for something than can be done for pennies.

There are few things more annoying in astrophotography than to be all set up, leave the kit doing its thing, then find the night was wasted due to condensation.

You can get a 4 way dew strap controller from FLO pretty cheap, and straps too. You can even get dew shields with a built in heater tape.

great clear sky for me up here in Glasgow too last night, great till around 3am b4 few major clouds started appearing

managed to view alot such as numerous doubles, the awesomely bright Jupiter of course,

also got some much better viewing of M92,M13,M31,M57 n M27

all of which appeared much more brighter than i have seen them b4,

much easier to notice

this is due to the light Summer Sky's becoming much more darker and blacker as apposed to the almost grey n pink summer skys wen i started viewing at end of May,

can't wait till it gets Pitch Black in Winter must make big difference

James

Archived