Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I had a fantastic night. I must admit to not watching the Perseids solidly, and being pulled in the direction of Jupiter (it's a gravity thing :) ). I watched Ganymede's shadow cross the face of Europa, hiding it from view completely. Then as Europa reappeared, Ganymede occulted it!

Quite a few bright meteors spotted, a mag -8 Iridium Flare which was captured in two halves by one of my cameras, loads of satellites and then Mars and Venus in the early hours. If I didn't have to stay up all night tonight and then head off to London at 05:30 on the following morning, I'd be over the Moon :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pah - I got clouded out at about 9.30! Coming from the North... nasty stuff and heartbreaking toi - I sure as heck hope tonight is better since I got my silly-wide converter to play with. Not damn-silly-wide, but I estimate maybe 140 degrees :)

A q for the meteor pic-hunters - tracking or non-tracking?

Arthur

PS - also collected the PST (on loan, may buy), and the ZS66 (mine I tell you, it's all mine)... enough already :)

I think Startrails + Meteor trails might work... unfortunately the cloud is even lower here tonight tahn it was lastnight... had to dry my hair when i got in ... only the very top though...

I think Starman does some nifty processing based on one of his posts ...

Peter...

Tracking would be the thing to do if you want it locked to the radiant...

My main pc is havign a hissy fit at the moment so i cant get at last years shots to see what i shot them at...

I was planning on the 10-20mm on the Nikon form a darker skies site a few miles away as shooting that wide from hoem will have too much orange muck in it ... or i could use the 1000D with the 18-55 and the CLS clip in but its a bit academic here at the moment :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tonight - I've got a gaggle of first-timers (me included!) organised to go along to our very own Meteor Party and there will be many long faces if we end up having cloud cover all night!

The forecasts and live satellite imagery doesn't fill me with hope, but I am remaining optimistic.

Best of luck to everyone who is hoping to see/image a Perseid or two this evening.

GMT +8 hrs:

I set my alarm for 02:00, local time, and popped out onto the helideck to see what kind of vis. we had. I could see Cassiopea, Polaris and behind me the seven sisters. Although there was a fair bit of cloud moving about.

I got to my viewing spot, away from as many lights as possible and leaned back, almost immediately I saw one! :) scooting from Cassiopea in a SE ish direction. Then the clouds moved in again and the rain started.

I'll pop out again shortly to see if things have cleared up again, if so I'll observe further, and maybe try for a photo, if not, back to bed for me, happy to have at least seen one, after these last few nights of nought but weather.

Hi all,

Relatively clear skies in East Central Scotland tonight so got a chance to go out for a hour, midnight to 1am (BST). What a great time, I'd still be out there now if I wasn't working in the morning. I resisted setting up the scope as I knew I'd get distracted on other things, too many to list!! This was very difficult as I've only had it for a couple of weeks a SW Explorer 200p my first "real" scope. Anyways just me and my trusty 16x50 binos ventured out into the garden. I went out a bit before midnight to let my eyes adjust and get my bearings luckly for me just sitting on my backdoor step was just about perfect.

So as I sat back for the fist 10mins I wasn't having much luck then caught site of a satallite heading North to South through Cassiopea. Just after that my first meteor of the night roughly heading west through Polaris. The moon was quiet bright by that point but even so, over the hour I bagged 20 meteor's the two brightest heading West through the Plough at 00.30 and 00.35. Later I was seeing more heading East from Cassiopea so not sure if all of them were part of Perseid shower or not but it was still amazing. :)

Also bagged another satallite heading North, the double cluster below Cassiopea, and the faint smudge of Andromeda with the bino's. As you can probably tell by the time of my post I stayed out a bit longer, stopped counting sat back enjoyed the view and the beautiful silence of it all. Gonna be yawning a lot at work I think!! :)

Cheers

Saw four bright, glittery earthgrazers tonight without even trying. After being less than impressed last night while lying on the lounge chair getting soaked with dew, i decided to do some observing before moonrise tonight instead.

No sooner did i center 52 CYG, than a glittery one whipped through the ep. Wow, what's the possibility? The others were seen out of the corner of my eye, all bright and beautiful but short-lived, all left the Tinkerbelle glitter trails. :)

Well we got blessed with very thin cloud up here ( Glasgow ) looking NNE. Was at work but took my break and spent an hour ( and a bit !! ) with a work colleague watching out forsome persieds. We saw about a dozen or so feint ones heading in direction of Cass', Ursa major and And'.

Saw two real belters , first was spectacular , blindingly bright streak heading towards Aries ( @ 2344 ) and the second , slightly less bright , heading into Camelopardalis , both were good but the first got an audible '' WoW'' from the both of us.

Pete

I went out for 2 hours last night and saw 12, was watching the area to the North between the Dipper and Cassiopia (No Idea how to spell that!?). That was my first meteor shower experience, altough I have seen a few randoms before, but never more than one in a night. Amazing how many sats and flares you see just watching a wide area for a bit. Anyway, about 3 were really bright, but I can't judge mag at the brightness and speed. Must have been a decent night to - I saw the outline of the milky way quite easily, not far outside central Wigan! Scanned the Milky Way with the binos for a bit - it look good and I just HAD to. Peak days were too cloudy but that's life I suppose.

Archived