SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

No more lunar observing?

jakey

Utter tosh ! It'd never be allowed, The Moon is likely as not be designated some sort of international protection status well before these T***ers get their technology up to speed to actually manage it I should think, certainly hope so !!

years ago i read a short scifi story (details,title and author lost in mists of time ) and these aliens contact earth and offer to grant us something or other (see i told you it was vague) in return for them modifying saturn into a giant advertising hoarding for their company that could be seen by any interstellar craft approaching the sun (which apparently is a bit like the cosmos equivilent of spagetti junction or something) of course there's uproar about it and it's refused which puzzles the aliens who point out that a rival company has had it's scrolling advert on the atmosphere of jupiter for years :)

These idiots are trying to say that this is not purely about money, but that they're doing a service to the long-term survival of mankind by doing this stunt:

The Big Picture|Moon Publicity

Oh and I notice they've closed the "comments" option on that page. Hopefully that's a sign of the outrage it's caused.

I'd be both horrified and surprised if it were allowed to go ahead. Someone find Sir Patrick.

Nick

years ago i read a short scifi story (details,title and author lost in mists of time ) and these aliens contact earth and offer to grant us something or other (see i told you it was vague) in return for them modifying saturn into a giant advertising hoarding for their company that could be seen by any interstellar craft approaching the sun (which apparently is a bit like the cosmos equivilent of spagetti junction or something) of course there's uproar about it and it's refused which puzzles the aliens who point out that a rival company has had it's scrolling advert on the atmosphere of jupiter for years :)

"Isaac Asimov", "Buy Jupiter", I think.

Think about Barry Scott and the MacDonald's Logo on the Moon...

We must put a stop to this madness!!!

Luckily, isn't the Moon already property of US government, something that makes those "Lunar Estate" things fraudulent?

You can't gafer tape over Coperniccus. I'm sure Sir Patrick would have a fit if he heard about this.

Think about Barry Scott and the MacDonald's Logo on the Moon...

OMG Barry Scott shouldn't be allowed on this planet nevermind the moon!!! Then again perhaps we can send him there in person? :)

We have already dumped a whole lot of our junk, not only on the Moon, but on most of the Solar system - Mars, Venus, Jupiter at least. Luckily it's haphazard and none of it visible from Earth (but then - there isn't a single human artefact on Earth that's visible from the Moon - that myth about the Great Wall of China is just that - a myth).

So, sadly, we can do a lot of damage to our sister planets before anything amounts to an advertisement. To create a workable one on the moon would be a monumental amount of digging...

So I hope it is just that - a spoof. Or if not a spoof, a non-starter.

At least I hope they keep Europa and Enceladus clean of Earthly muck: the places in the Solar System most likely to have life of their own...

I beg to differ- there IS one human artifact that is visible from space (earth orbit at least) it happens to be the refuse dump in New Jersey from the residents of New York ,New York. Honest !

Oooh and what about those silly islands built for pop stars and footballers by some Arabian principality in the shape of a palm tree ???

It won't happen simply because not enough people look at the Moon to make the project worthwhile. It may have a vogue as a novelty for a month or two, but then there'd be nobody looking. It wouldn't be any good at all in the last half of a lunation, and in the summer in either hemisphere the full moon is low in the sky and rises late in the evening. When I started to read the post, I thought maybe someone was going to build huge laser banks and paint the moon with logos. It would be easier, and make more sense. Still, I hate the idea.

I remember reading a comic book story in the early 60's, in which television was retired in favour of projection onto the Moon. Even at my young age, I could see some problems with this. For instance, what if not everybody wants to watch Coronation Street? Also, the story was obviously written by someone who doesn't know that the Moon isn't always up in the nighttime. Und so weiter, und so weiter...

I beg to differ- there IS one human artifact that is visible from space (earth orbit at least) it happens to be the refuse dump in New Jersey from the residents of New York ,New York. Honest !
I took care to say "from the Moon". You're right, there is a whole load of stuff visible from low earth orbit, but that's a big difference! See also here.
It won't happen simply because not enough people look at the Moon to make the project worthwhile.
Moreover, even if you do look at the moon (without optical aid), well it's only 30 arcminutes across. The best most human eyes can resolve is about 1 arcminute. So at best you've got to try and fit a meaningful advertisement into a space which is in effect 30 pixels across (one-third the size of a forum avatar). Try doing that with a graphics tool on your PC!

Archived