Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The ring of the ring.....

Tim

Forgot about this one. When I first got my Ha filter I took a couple of 30min subs of the ring nebula to try and get something of the very outer edges of it. A while ago I was talking with RobH and we had mentioned this elusive area of the ring nebula.

Now that I know it simply needs at least 30 mins to get anything of the faint stuff, I just need to grab about a weeks worth of subs to get the picture i'd like :)

Anyroad, here's the result of just one sub. Thanks to Paulobao for doing this a while ago and giving me the idea. It's not very pretty, but it does show what is there.

Cheers

TJ

post-14037-133877386963_thumb.jpg

The outer limit of the expansion looks pretty well defined here TJ.

The Image does show more than an average capture of M57, but I wonder how much more is there to reveal.

You may have reached the limit here.

Ron.

Are you going to use the Atik Steve? As mentioned, 20 minute subs didnt come close to touching the outer region from where I am, there was evidence but it just looked like noise.

It gives the Impression that the expanding gas is cylindrical in shape.

It's a funny thing Ron. I'm assuming these things are all roughly spherical in shape, and if imaged from the other side of the galaxy they'd look similar.

Wouldn't it be great if they develop a means of putting together a 3D image of these nebula, I suppose they will one day..

Are you going to use the Atik Steve? As mentioned, 20 minute subs didnt come close to touching the outer region from where I am, there was evidence but it just looked like noise.

I was going to use the Atik on the 12" LX200, nicely framed at that size, just waiting for some decent weather.

Steve..

It's a funny thing Ron. I'm assuming these things are all roughly spherical in shape, and if imaged from the other side of the galaxy they'd look similar.

Wouldn't it be great if they develop a means of putting together a 3D image of these nebula, I suppose they will one day..

More of a prolate spheroid, the polar diameter is greater than the equatorial diameter. This description of the Helix Nebula seems plausible for most planetary nebs apparently.

The line of sight view of M27 seems to bear that out, except modern images drown it out a bit, as the hourglass shape disappears.

Ron.:)

I'd like to get a REALLY good M57 under my belt Arran, so I might go for this. The trouble with that outer bit is that the inner part is so bright compared, all the detail is washed out, so it'd be a lot of mucking about in photoshop to get all the layers right.

Just need some decent dark skies. At the moment 5 x 30 min subs is about the best one could hope for per night, and if it's windy, or there are many planes etc, you can lose 20% of your hard earned data in seconds.....

Yeh, it's a funny thing Mark, the 7nm Ha filter blocks that star out almost completely. It's only by combining with a standard shot that it comes back. I was very surprised to see the filter do that, and had to move the scope to check my focus hadn't shifted!

I do have a 1.25 neb filter but i have'nt tried it with the camera yet.I'll have a bash one night by taken the lens off a barlow and put the filter there instead then fit it to the camera then find out the result later on:)Mark

Archived