Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First project

Tantalus

I want to have a go at grinding my own mirror. I already have a 4" scope so I was thinking of starting with a 6" newtonian. But before I start I have just a couple of questions...

What do you think would be a good f-ratio? I was thinking f7...

What size eye-piece holder should I go for? 1.5" or 2". Which would give me best views? and which gives me best choice of eye-pieces?

Would it be unwise to consider making an 8" as a first project?

...I'd be greatful for any advice given.:)

Hi Tantalus,

It's good to know other people are interested in grinding their own mirrors!!!

An 8" blank is a perfect size for a beginner - small enough for good results first time if methods are adhered to, and large enough for a satisfactory night's viewing. :)

I have yet to plunge into this new hobby but am very interested, as I already have the blank and am collecting parts - unfortunately I have a number of wood projects to complete before undertaking this task. In the meantime - it's dreaming about design elements, thinking through the process, reading reading reading, finding out decent suppliers, etc etc.

Sorry I cannot address the rest of your query, as the F ratio can be a subjective thing according to what you want your telescope to do. I hope an expert will be along soon to help. :D

Sorry I couldn't be much help, but thought it was worth replying as a friendly thread "bump". :p

When you start this project, will you post your progress on here? I'd love to follow it. :evil4:

Thanks for that sam, I may go for an 8" now.

I intend to use the scope for general viewing with a preference for DSO's, but didn't want to go too fast for a first scope, I thought a slower mirror would be easier (sagitta not so deep?), and less coma etc...

Will be happy will post progress...

New to forums Sam, wot's a bump?

Archived