SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

why is not a single star visible in the astronauts moonwalk videos???

hi guys i want to know that when we see the videos of different astronauts repairing or spacewalking then why cant we see millions of stars in the background or why can we see the milkyway trail??

there is vacum and no light pollution or clouds etc then why are those HD cameras incapable of showing stars whilst if we point a HD camcorder towards stars from earth we can capture some star activity but why does every thing vanishes in the space?

why dosent an astronaust takes canon 100d with him and captures the milkyway trail through the window ??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on this is that to capture the faint light from stars you need long exposures in order to make them appear on the photo.

When the astronauts are taking photos of, for instance, them holding the flag, stepping down onto the lunar surface they are just using normal exposure lengths that pick up bright, normal images - but are not sensitive enough (or long enough) to pick up the fainter stars in the background.

I think this may relate to a video scenario too. Just been reading the link Gaz posted as I've been typing this up, looks pretty good, give it a read :)

(someone if I am wrong on this please put me right!)

I thought it was in the car park of the local Tesco's with Elvis in the suit rather than Buzz Lightyear..

Seriously...anyone who thinks it's faked wants sectioning/shooting or both

Oh wait, I am living in a conspiracy - I must be since I cannot see any stars...

Look, if they'd filmed it in Arizona (or Texas) the sky would have been full of contrails even if the Nasty Low Clouds had parted for once.

It's daytime, so no stars - well, maybe one.

Spot on.

I went to a presentation by Michael Fowles, the astronaut. Talking to him afterwards, he said that during "daytime" space walks, you can't see any stars either. They're simply lost due to the the glare from the earth (and sun).

But orbital night time is another story. He said the sky is ablaze with light and colour. The milky way is apparently astonishing - to the point of distraction. The same applies on the moon.

Be nice to see that, one day....

I always like to tell people it's like standing under a streetlight during a clear night. You can see the sky is black but you'll see no stars because it has to be dark to see stars!

Another way of thinking of it is its like being in a floodlight sports stadium at night. The sky is black but its practically daylight.

• 3 weeks later...

Amanda you are right about the exposure time on the cameras.

Basically the exposure time was set to capture the moon walks, since the moon was so bright, with not only sunshine but also earthshine, the pictures would have been saturated had they had an exposure time long enough set to "see" stars. The lunar dust is actually highly reflective from what i gather, so alot of the radiation incident will be reflected back. This actually ties in to the arguements about the disappearing crosshairs in the apollo pictures.

Sometimes people forget that the moon is an alien world. You simply cannot compare experiences of what you are used to here on earth and apply them to the same situation on somewhere like the moon.

The reason we dont see the stars during the day here on earth, most people think because of the Rayliegh scattering making the sky blue, hence not being able to see stars. But you also wouldnt be able to see them in the absence of an atmosphere anyway.

And since paradoxically we will never observe stars during "daytime" in the absence of an atmosphere, it somehow seems inconceivable to some people.

the flat earthers really make me laff.

there is at least the slightest glimmer of the possibility of a chance that the moon landing were faked.

but the flat earthers have no reason for their 'theories'

but for anyone who believes that.....if you give me £1million I can make you live forever.....

There is no glimmer of anything w.r.t the Moon landings, they went, they landed, they brought back a stack of rock, left several seismic test rigs, laser reflection devices, and other bits and bobs....

end of story...move on! :-)

Archived