Wireless USB Hub for Astro work??

Yes it should but.......

From the site...

Data-transfer rates do not support some high-speed/high-bandwidth USB devices such as HD-streaming webcams or other video-transfer applications.

As thats bog standard wireless so bandwidth isnt there...

Hi Peter.. it isn't a wireless hub, but a wired one. The limitation is that it only has 10/100 ethernet in the box, not gigabit, so you are limited by the 100Mbps of the box... Not sure what the QHY5 data rate actually is though

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to connect via powerline, then unless you're prepared to by the expensive 220Mbs stuff, you're going to be limited to something under 85Mbs anyway, and given the hub can only do 100...

I use one to network my printer it's ok but the software is a bit flakey. The throughput for USB is pretty Rubbish as you are limited by the 10/100mbit lan connection. If it were a gigabit link it would have enough bandwidth to service two USB ports at full data rate. It would be great if someone comes up with a gigabit version. This would mean no need for a PC outside.

Regards

Kevin

Unsure if this has been mentioned, but I was considering the following.

1. Cheap lappy next to the Mount with all cables running to it. Put lappy in a plastic box with holes for protection.

2. Extension cable with one of those Ethernet via your mains adapters on it. Basically you have a network via your mains cabling in your house.

3. PC in the office with remote pc on it to control the laptop.

Nice and simple.

The ethernet plugs for the mains are about £30 for 2 and all you need is a spare lappy. I use the ethernet mains plugs for my xbox 360 which is downstairs to get network access to the main network upstairs without having to buy MS wireless adapter at £60.

• 2 weeks later...

The hub turned up this morning. Initial tests are a qualified success. I think the 10m range is pushing the envelope of what's possible.

I managed to take a photo of myself from the garden, see attachment so it kind of works. The interface to my Canon 300D is USB1 so it isn't going to be hogging the bandwidth on a USB2 connection anyway. If I close the patio door the signal completely disappears.

If I put my telescope on the patio (where it quite often goes anyway) and move the computer desk so that I can poke the aerial thingy out of the patio door I could be in business.

I'll update with more info as I discover it.

post-16410-133877388602_thumb.jpg

OK range is only 10 meters so no good in this case for what you want to do, but thought highlight Bluetooth USB hub such as Cable & Wireless High Speed USB 2.0 & Bluetooth Hub

incase people are interested, read that it supports USB2.0 may be handy for connecting your laptop to mount, cam etc. without worrying about all the wires trailing in the dark, or it may be a pile of tat having never tired it :).

be interesting to see if it could cope with USB to serial Mount, USB Guide cam, and USBcamera

Archived