Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 wider field

russ

I apologise up front for this image. Taken last night in what the BBC weatherman described as 'Crystal Clear Skies'. Yeah right, what his idea of clear sky? Masses of high mist obviously don't count. Throw in a full moon and plenty of LP and you have a very bad recipe for imaging.

And what sort of dipstick would actually setup in these conditions and then image through till 12.30am....oh me!!! What a plonka!

Needless to say i got 17 images of Rubbish, salvaged to the image below with lots and lots of processing in PS.

So 17 images stacked. Each image 2.5mins @ 800iso using the 300D with the Sigma 70-300 lens at max zoom. Also, Baader Skyglow filter (the images were orange after 30secs without it).

image.jpg

Roll on next week and last quarter moon.

Russ

:shock: indeed Russ...

An excellent result considering the obsticles in the way. Thats a lovely wide field shot - the sigma lens looks really nice. You've got the satalite galaxy and several dust lanes, if the conditios were as bad as you say then I'd be well chuffed with that!

What was the dew like down your neck of the woods - dripping up here last night!

Is that a sigle frame unprocessed or the final unprocessed stack?

Ant

Dripping wet down here too. I actually took 45 images but I did an 'Ant' (and a very good idea it is too) and went indoors and watched the Fantastic Four movie while the camera plugged away. Looking through the images the lens dewed up on image 24 but i was too busy watching TV to know.

That unprocessed image is the stacked image from ImagesPlus.

Russ

Blimey you did a blumming good job on the processing... I just had a quick two minutes with the image and even taking into account it's a jpg... couldn't get anything close.

You don't want to follow that idiot Ant's example... :) he's just a namby pamby southerner :)

Ant

HI Rog,

Really i should have given up too, conditions were really poor. Dew, mist, LP and a moon. When i came out 12.30 to check the camera, could barely see any stars in Andromeda, let alone M31.

This is something else i wouldn't mind trying next week possibly at my dark site in the New Forest. Need some clear skies first :?

Thanks for the comments though.

Regards

Russ

Russ, why do you always put yourself down when you post an image? :? You must be pleased with the detail you managed to bring out in that image. I would be.

Try the power of positive thinking.............. i.e. accentuate the positive (as they say) :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve, Yes it's the Apo version and it was set to it's widest which i think is f5.6 at max zoom. It's terrific lens for the money and much better than the Kodak (Tamron) 80-210 it replaced. Really looking forward to using it on M45 and M42 over the winter. And giving M31 another try.

Al, it's amazing how much you push the stacked image using Photoshop. At first glance there appears to be no detail but it's just hidden. Sadly 2 years ago I had no idea how to get that detail out and as a result probably deleted a few good images.

Russ

Archived