Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

THANKYOU - NLCs!!

Whoever did that alert, thank you so much! I've just seen my first NLCs!! They were right up to the zenith here in Cardiff, absolutely beautiful... never seen anything like it in my life. I was running down the side passage to the front (where the best view of north is) and gasping, ran down the garden to look over the house and they were towering over and up to zenith! Unbelieveable!!

Yep that was me :)

AMAZING

I'm still shaking... that was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen.

Managed to grab a few images, and made them into a panorama. This is from due West to North East.

That is beautiful ant. Similar to what I could see, in between the fat grey clouds that kept coming over. It was so breathtaking, must have been very moving from your location with that spectacular clear sky.

Also, the sky west to south was positively VIOLET tonight. Could it be due to this?

I'd not heard of the eruption, they do tend to cause exceptionally nice sunsets - but it didn't look any different to normal (apart from the NLC) to me.

Blimey, I've just realised I'm in the Observing section - how did that happen... :)

Thanks John, Yeah it was...

I was in such a rush that I just used the same settings from last night.

ISO 1600, RAW, manual 1sec shots, manual focus.

Got a load of singles to post up in a sec...

Ant

When you see something like this - NLCs are just one example - do you ever want to grab people that go past you and tell them what it is? I was stood out on the drive last night, watching that glorious display and two people walked past, looking at me as if I was a weirdo. I wanted to tell them so much what I was looking at!

How do you control your urges to educate the masses in astronomy?

I had never bothered looking out for any type of cloud, NLC or otherwise, until a week or so ago. Now I can't believe that I had not seen them before, they were a fantastic sight and quite surreal.

Archived