SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Explorer 150PL, opinions

Multiple questions coming, please bear with me :)

I've never looked through the eye piece of a telescope, but I've been fascinated with the universe and astronomy since about the age of 6, and decided to buy a telescope now before I hit the age of 40.

I've spent hours reading about the different types of telescopes, and has decided that the 150PL may suit my requirements, as well as being within a tolerable price range, although at the end of it (prices in Scandinavia seems to hoover quite a bit over UK prices).

Specifications:

EXPLORER-150PL (EQ3-2)

150mm (6") f/1200 Parabolic Newtonian Reflector

• Magnifications (with eyepieces supplied): x48, x96, x120 & x240
  • Highest Practical Power (Potential): x300
  • Diameter of Primary Mirror: 150mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 1200mm (f/8)
  • Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
  • X2 Deluxe Barlow Lens 1.25" (with Camera Adaptor)
  • Parabolic Primary Mirror
  • 0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports
  • 6x30 Finderscope
  • Direct SLR Camera Connection
  • EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount
  • Built-in Polar Alignment Scope Holder
  • Aluminium Tripod with Accessory Tray
  • 33% more Light Gathering than 130mm

What I am looking for is a telescope that I can watch the moon and planets with, as well as (and perhaps especially) DSO like galaxies - the latter hopefully more detailed than just a blur. I'd love to see the cloud bands on Jupiter.

Since I have never looked through a telescope, I don't know what to expect, but am I right in assuming that the 150PL will be a good all-round telescope for these things?

Is there a web page that shows you what you can expect to see with the different telescope types and sizes?

I landed on the Explorer 150PL because no matter what I searched for and sites I visited, Sky-Watcher was always at the top rank in Google as well as being items in stock with most dealers.

But, are there any other brands which are equal or better, or even ... :) cheaper?

Is it suitable for watching the sun with a solar filter?

And finally, I can't find the Explorer series at all on Sky-Watcher's web site. Are these a discontinued series or are they simply named differently in Europe from the US?

I can't find the Explorer series at all on Sky-Watcher's web site

Try here: Skywatcher Newtonian Reflector Telescopes - Reflector Telescopes by OVL

Personally I think the Explorer 150PL is the ideal starter scope for a beginner who has the space to store it and the strength to carry it. (Most adults but not children under about 14) It's big enough to show lots of detail on moon & planets, has enough light grasp to show many "faint fuzzies" and is a manageable size & weight for most people. You soon come to terms with the equatorial mount, though it is helpful to have an "expert" available for the first session to show you how to get the polar axis aligned. The f/8 working ratio of the 150PL is much better for general purpose work than the short tube (about f/5 ) scopes that are fashionable these days, the collimation is much less critical and much easier to do and the longer focal length copes with budget range eyepieces far better than the shorter ones do.

The 150mm Newtonian is not ideal for solar work - a smaller, lighter scope will do - but, if you have one, it will do great for viewing the Sun with a white light filter - Baader solar film. Reflectors are not suitable for solar observation using the projection method.

Accessories: The scope appears not to include a moon filter, this is more or less essential for looking at the moon as the brightness will be painful without one. An extra eyepiece in the 15mm - 16mm range will be useful for providing intermediate powers (around x80, x160 with barlow). The motor drive kit is handy when using the scope at medium & high powers.

I too think the 150PL will make a great starter scope. Don't get your hopes up too much on galaxies and nebulae, with one or two exceptions (eg: the Ring and Dumbell planetary nebulae and M42 in Orion), most still look faint and fuzzy in quite large scopes - but still fun to look at though :)

John

I too think the 150PL will make a great starter scope. Don't get your hopes up too much on galaxies and nebulae, with one or two exceptions (eg: the Ring and Dumbell planetary nebulae and M42 in Orion), most still look faint and fuzzy in quite large scopes - but still fun to look at though :)

John

That's why you turn to the dark side and start astro imaging :)

My sister has the 150 short tube version on an EQ3-2. The mount and scope make a good combination and the scope delivers some pretty good views. As already mentioned galaxies and nebulas look pretty faint through almost anything.

Thats not to say you cant see some amazing stuff. The Orion Nebula, M13, The Pleaides and the Ring Nebula are all pretty good sights through a scope like that.

Theres not much wrong with Sky-Watcher kit - its won quite a reviews. If you havent seen it Ade Ashford reviewed the 150PL here Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 its at the bottom of the page - its a PDF file.

I like the short tube version my sister has but I think if I were buying based on what I know now I'd have the long version - its less critical to collimate and its not so fussy about eyepieces. I did advise my sister to get the longer tube but she preferred the smaller size for transportation reasons.

Thank you all, the 150PL is settled. I almost landed on a Zhumell Z8 yesterday, because some US dealers had this going for $380 - 46% off the retail price.

But sadly, they don't ship to Norway, and considering the optics in these and how shipped items are sometimes handled, I guess there's a reason for it.

OTOH, why can't I find this telescope on Sky-Watcher's web site?

I've got the short tube version. Views of the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter under good seeing have been incredible. As already mentioned don't expect to see lots of detail in the DSO's, but it's surprising what you can find when you get going. During the first year I was out with it every single clear night. I'm still finding new DSO's, which is the fun of it for me. Best money I've spent.

The telescope is ordered and hopefully soon on it's way. Thank you all, you've been very helpfull! :-)

Just one final question, why isn't it suitable for solar watching?

If it's just no big deal, is there a solar filter that will fit, i.e. a generic 150mm like this one: http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Kendrick%20Solar%20Filter%20for%20150mm%20to%20160mm%20Telescope&prod_code=PON08J000025

Just one final question, why isn't it suitable for solar watching?

If it's just no big deal, is there a solar filter that will fit

With a full aperture filter, no problem. For projection, NO GO, the heat will crack the secondary mirror or melt the adhesive used to secure it.

The manufactured solar filters are OK but expensive, you can make your own mount from cardboard & a sheet of Baader solar film is only about £15. If you want to buy one you need the outside diameter of the top end of the tube, not the scope aperture, as this is where the fit is.

Archived