Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

trudie

What power, cables hub etc?

Hi All,

At last the obsy has a roll off roof, so now looking to power everything up.

I know I will need power unit, cigar lighter cables and longer cable usb , as well as a usb hub, but any advice on which of each, where to get from, and how best to wire it all tigether would be really appreciated. Will be running HEQ5, Atik 16, and meade as guide camera, if that helps.

I would like to have as few wires as poss going from obs to warm room,

Thanks in advance.

Trudie

I have just completed the same job on my setup.

I bought a 'power' usb hub and zip tied it to the mount. The dslr and my QHY5 guide cam plug into it and then a 5m usb relay extender to the warm room. You will probably have another cable for the laptop to the mount into the ST4 socket.

I run the wires down the pillar, zip tie them together as one bundle and pass them into the warm room.

If using USB, make sure you keep under 5meters as the signal will get lost. Also use a USB powered unit otherwise the camera' etc will not get enough power from the laptop alone.

You could even buy some of that coiled cable tidy to make a good job of it.

As for power, I run everything off the mains. Laptop, scope, usb hub all via a 6 way standard extension cable I run out from the garage to the observatory whenever I want to observe. Nice and simple and no need for messing with cig lighters. I will wire up pernament mains supply one day :)

ebay is your friend for USB hubs, got mine for about £5

Thank you for that, I do have mains in the warm room, and will be using a desktop out there.

Thank you for that, I do have mains in the warm room, and will be using a desktop out there.

You will still need a powered USB hub if you want to plug all usb's in at the mount side and run only 1 usb cable back to the warm room.

Without the powered hub, you would need to run all the usb cables from the mount area individually to the desktop.

Desktop and laptop are one of the same thing and so doesn't really matter, still need powered usb to run cameras etc

My power needs for the EQ6 are powered by this I have the 7amp version which is more than enough for the HEQ5/6.

You will need a powered USB hub, I got mine off fleabay I think, it has 7 ports and I connect the QHY5 guider, DSLR and the wireless rumblepad hub which I use with EQmod.

I mounted my hub (hot melt glue or sticky pad) to the polar scope blanking plate on the EQ6 which is in an ideal position when your slewing, if the cables snag it just pulls out on the plug and will not cause damage to cables or hub.

post-13224-133877386175_thumb.jpg

USB hub and cabling.

Hope this is some help to you :)

I use an Atik and run it through a powered USB hub and it works ok. My ST10 on the other hand slows down quite a bit when connected through the hub. I now have two cables running across the floor, not a major problem.

Dennis