Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Night Viewing!

Clare, I'm so glad to read of your introduction to this amazing hobby. It sounds as if you are well on your way, with a good pair of bins (where I live we call them "binoculars"...) and excellent software to guide you. The most important instruments--patience, curiosity and enthusiasm--you obviously have already.

One suggestion to add to the others' excellent lists: M27

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if you'd like these as a suggestion of what to look for?

Astronomical League Messier Binocular Club

Astronomical League Deep Sky Binocular Club - this is more challenging. I'm currently doing it with my 8x42s and it's great fun.

I joined the AL and did the Binocular Messier Club and am currently doing the Deep Sky Binocular Club but you don't have to join the AL and go for an award, you can do the lists purely for your own enjoyment, they are a great way to observe and also discover the objects you didn't think possible without a scope. Also, for beginners, they are a great way to find your way round the sky.

:)

Hi Clare,

I don't know if you use Stellarium already but it's great to use as a 'map' & it's free to download.

I love my bins & take them everywhere... lying on a sun-lounger at 2am does look at bit funny but I love it!

enjoy!

Claire

• 2 weeks later...

Well I used to have an old pair of 12x40s and loved using them. But that was when I was a lot younger.

But after a bit of a gap (20 years) I've just bought a pair of Meade 10x50 bino (really cheap £25 ones) and was using them in the garden lying on the trampoline the other day and they were superb - very sharp and clear. Unfortunately I actually bought them for a camping holiday in Spiers House, Yorkshire this week - but the moon spoilt the whole thing (typical). Although i did see Jupiters moons and the Moon is always worth looking at plus a few interesting sights such as Perseus and the M31 galaxy despite the moons glare.

And yes I also use Starry Night software - been waiting for the new Pro 6.2 version and looking forward to getting it tomorrow hopefully. It really adds to the observing and there is a notebook facility in Starry Night as well you know. You can also configure it to show bino visible objects. I also use Stellarium becuase its the most beutiful planitarium software available and free, and the free Winstars for the planets/solar system.

You might also want to try TUBA Touring the Universe Through Binoculars free software too but definitely the most impressive for me is Stellarium for sheer beauty.

Archived