Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M27 Dumbell Nebula

justin8571

Hello everyone,

just thought I'd share my first colour deep sky image with you. I bought my first scope (8" LX200R) two years ago and have been trying to get to grips with imaging on a more serious level since December 2008 when I bought some kit to allow guided imaging. I'm so pleased with the outcome as once I got my head round processing colours (with a bit of help over the phone from Ian King) it didn't take very long at all until the image just popped out. I took a total 42 one minute images, eight each of red, green and blue, and 18 of luminance.

It was imaged with my 8"LX200R at f/10, an Atik 314L camera and guided with a William Optics ZS66 at f/5.9 (and Meade DSI II) piggybacked on the LX with PHD Guiding. Aligned, stacked and processed with Nebulosity2.

I've taken a number of black and white deep sky images but this was my first attempt of an LRGB image having recently taken delivery of the new Starlight Xpress filter wheel and I also used my existing Meade filters. The filter wheel is a really well made piece of kit in case anyone's thinking of getting one.

It's meant to be clear tonight and I don't start work until tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I'll be outside in a few hours and will try my luck with the Ring Nebula.

Anyway, thanks for looking and take care.

Justin

www.sussexastroimaging.co.uk

post-16805-133877384888_thumb.jpg

Very nice too Justin. Imaging at f10 is a fairly large image scale, and it has done very well. Tracking is very good.

The Filter Wheel will be a great addition, and we had an interim report on it, and appears to be a well made item.

You will go from strength to strength now, and we look forward to more postings from you.

Ron.:)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. However, I tried again the other night with M57 and I can't seem to get the processing right with Nebulosity2. I'm sure my raw data's ok, it's just that I obviously don't know enough about processing.

I'll have another try at processing it again tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again.

Justin

Sussex Astro Imaging - Home page

Archived