Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

mikeglr

eq5 or eq6

hi all, i really need some advice i want to upgrade my mount but can't decide between the eq5 or eq6, i'll be using it mainly for imaging and when i started saving my money i had my heart set on the eq6 but i've read some review's that the pe is better on the eq5 but the eq6 is better when used with an auto guider and now i just can't decide.

i don't own any auto guiding equipement yet but will do in the future {when money allow's} so i'm still thinking of the eq6 but if anyone can help with my decision i'd be grateful

p.s i'm also thinking of buying the orion eon 80mm ed apo refractor if anyone has used one is it as good as the review's are leading me to believe

cheer's mike

I would definitely say go for the EQ6 - it is alot more versitile with a high weight capacity, which is key for imaging.

Get EQMOD as well, and you'll have something that will last you a lifetime.

Cheers,

Richie

There is some truth in the periodic error being better with the HEQ5 but NOT the EQ5 which is a very different beast!

Despite the HEQ5 being a little better in the PE department, the EQ6 is still the better choice because of its superior load carrying capacity. I'd go for the EQ6.

Eq6 all the way - if you don't, you will regret it later when you need to add that little bit of extra kit but can't because it takes you over the limit.

Arthur

I have the HEQ5, it is a great mount. But it isn't an EQ6.

The size and weight difference between the two really took me by suprise... If I was buying again now, I'd go the EQ6Pro.

But that isn't to say that I'm not very happy with my HEQ5!

I think you'd be happy with either, but the EQ6Pro is more future proof.

Ant

I agree with those that say EQ6.

I have a HEQ5 Pro, it's an excellent beast, but I wish I had the EQ6, its load-baring capacity should set you up for life, whatever scope you upgrade to. If you can get to a showroom, go see the two mounts side-by-side, you will appreciate the difference.

Good luck, Herrman

Another vote for the EQ6 - i've owned both, and unless you want serious portability (or have a bad back!) you get significantly more capacity over the HEQ5 for not a whole lot more cash

EQ6 is the only way togo budget permitting, as others have said use EQmod and you will have a cracking imaging mount,

thank's everyone thought the eq6 was the way to go just needed some reassurance

sorry to bug you all with more question's but i keep hearing about the eqmod i googled it but wasn't to sure what it's all about could some one explain it for me please

cheers mike