SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1396 - Elephants Trunk Nebula stage 2

GordonH

Hi All

After doing the Ha data on this object a couple of nights ago I managed to get out again last night and shot 27x10 minutes for the OIII. The capture details are the same as before so I won't elaborate on that, the Ha and OIII are assigned as follows Ha=Red OIII=Green OIII=Blue, the seeing conditions remain very poor, what with the moon, artificial light pollution and sky glow (in fact it was almost light enough outside last night to read without my red light), the seeing conditions seem to have more affect on the OIII than the Ha. I am now hoping to get the SII data during the next few days/weeks. You can compare this image with the Ha version on the home page of my website under recent images on http://www.imagingtheheavens.co.uk

Thanks for looking

Best wishes

Gordon

post-13589-133877384375_thumb.jpg

I must admit I really like the elephant trunk. I know it's part of a larger expanse of nebulosity but this is one object I like close up!

Excellent image Gordon, suprised you managed 4 hours of images in one night though :)

Cheers

Ant

I must admit I really like the elephant trunk. I know it's part of a larger expanse of nebulosity but this is one object I like close up!

Excellent image Gordon, suprised you managed 4 hours of images in one night though :)

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant

Thanks for the comments, 4 to 4.5 hours is just about possible at this time of year as everything is already set up outside, all I have to is check the focusing and I am ready to shoot as soon as it is dark enough which for me is just after 11pm and then I can get 4.5 hours imaging before it starts to ge too light, this is only possible with narrowband though and if I tried it with RGB I would have to take off 30 minutes imaging time either side of the window

Best wishe

Gordon

Archived