Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

acharris77

My 1st view of Jupiter Wow+ question

Hi all, I managed to get my 1st view of Jupiter through a telescope tonight before clouds came in. I went out at 00:15 to give the scope 15 mins cool down time and setup. Then at just after 00:30 I manually found Jupiter about SE, S with my 25mm eyepiece and I could see Jupiter and the 4 moons.....WOW what a sight.

So I went up to 10mm and I could make out bands on the surface, then I used the 2x barlow to view it. My only question is that when I viewed it, whatever ep I used, I was like looking through stream/wavy air that give me a turbulent view.

Am I right in assuming that the atmosphere was causing that sort of viewing, as I cant say I noticed on anything else before. And when I do a star test, the airy disc is round.

If I viewed it when it was higher in the sky, would air have been steadier to view. Thanks again for reading.

Am I right in assuming that the atmosphere was causing that sort of viewing,

Yes you are right in your assumption. Turbulent atmospherics play a big part in any view we get of the planets....

If I viewed it when it was higher in the sky, would air have been steadier to view.

Its normally the case (but not always) if you observe objects higher in the night sky that the view will be less distorted by atmospheric turbulence...

The lower down you view an object the more likely you will have to contend with heat from houses distorting your view...

Well done, Anthony! :) Have you ever looked across a hot parking lot through binoculars? The waviness is the same thing as the atmospheric turbulence Jamie mentioned, only on a smaller scale. Now simulate a zenith view by panning the binos up towards the top of a very tall building. There'll be less turbulence the further you get away from the horizon.. less turbulence gives a steadier view.

Some nights have overall bad seeing, though. Ever see two layers of clouds going in different directions? That's a good example of opposing air layers. When they move in different directions like that, you can look straight up towards the zenith and the view will still be jigglymush. :)

Congrats on spotting Jupiter, I was viewing it myself this evening in between the clouds. Stunning .... though I was getting the same, fuzziness or boiling effect when viewing. Moons were all there, in tow, little spots of light.

Definitely one of my favs.:)

RTB

If I viewed it when it was higher in the sky, would air have been steadier to view.

Well it helps, but it's not a guarantee - bad seeing can be local (air rising from "hot spots" caused by solar heat trapped by black top car parks or roofs, plumes of heat from domestic boilers etc) or in the upper atmosphere (you can't see the jet stream directly, but it certainly smears the seeing).

15 mins cool down may not be sufficient, try leaving it longer to see if the seeing settles down more, if so then tube currents are contributing to the effect.

Thanks for all the great advice and info on viewing conditions, yet another useful bit of information I have learned about view and seeing from this great forum. Jupiter was above the houses to the SE. About cool down will give it a try, by 1:10 the scope was out for 45 mins and the viewing then was the same, just more clouds...lol.

though I am lucky that to the S, SW is all fields, so normally I get the raising heat like above the houses, and at that point it is a lot higher up, but that would be at about 3:30am in the morning and the skies are still light then. Though I am still happy to see it and it 4 moons. thanks again.

When I first found Jupiter the scope hadn't cooled at all and it was only just above the horizon as I couldn't wait. Needless to say it was just an orange blob! The second time is when I first saw the bands on the planet and have been captivated ever since.