SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC6960 in Ha... finally!

SteveL

I missed this one totally last year due to poor weather (either cloudy, or too windy to use the 190MN), so the chance to shoot it this year was too good to miss.

I have to say that shotting narrowband Hydrogen Alpha during what is effectivly twilight still gets fairly decent images. You have to be careful with the noise when post-processing, but its certainly not a waste of time to get out there and image.

The dew last night was getting a bit crazy... as soon as it started to cool, the amount of water that dropped out of the air (and onto all the electrics!) was terrifying.

So, anyway, here we go:

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD, plus CCD Commander

OTA: Skywatcher 190 MakNewt

Guiding: ED80 + SX Lodestar + PHD

Imaging: M25C + MaximDL, 17×600s, Astronomik 13nm Ha (100 bias, 100 flats)

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2

(Click on the image for a larger version)

20090701_ngc6960_ha_wip1_800.jpg

And now an image from some other kit I was playing with at the same time...

20090701_fisheye01_800.jpg

Nice Steve, good to see that really faint stuff at the right of the star coming through very well.

Might tack that in as a 'lighten' layer to an rgb of that to the red channel, see what pops out.

Like you I have been surprised by my first attempts at Ha imaging at how well it captures the data during twilight, and no trace of LP gradients either.

I use my old Astronomik 13nm, but its not the new model that has anti-reflective surfaces, so it does sometimes show so quite major haols around brighter stars.

I am tempted to move to the 7nm offerings, either from Astronomik or Baader.

That's a glorious veil, and so large and detailed too.

The 190 MN is a very capable instrument. I see you used the M25C.

Is that a recent addition? I just don't remember you using it before.

Just a nosey git you see.:)

Ron.

I recently aquired a set of the new baader narrowband filters. Even with 30 min subs there is no halo around the stars with the 7nm filter, and the matching set with the lrgbc filters are all parfocal apparently, but I need a clear night to see that for myself yet!

Another question,

That second image you posted there, was that a reflection of the sky in a mirror on the ground perhaps?

Ron.

Its taken with my QHY8 attached to a super wide angle Nikon lens, i`m playing with various option for this as a secondary imaging camera while my main scopes are doing the "serious" stuff.

20090702_setup01.jpg

more details about this at a later date

Hi Steve

Nice stuff, plenty of detail in that, I agree with the Ha and the light levels, I find I can image for a good 30 minutes either side of the realistic imaging window for RGB and still get good results, are you going to add some OIII to this?

Best wishes

Gordon

Archived