Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First view of moon in new scope

steve_bham

Well last night wasnt the best as was patchy cloud all over the place, but i was playing with my new scope to get used to it etc, and out popped the moon.

Not idea but i pointed the scope out the window (so i knew the views would not be spot on). But just wanted to try it out!

Well the views was stunning! only had a 30min window before the clouds came back but i cant wait to take the scope in countryside now!

Popped into town today and ordered Turn left at Orion, and brought 3 astro mags!

i tried all three EP i had with scope, 25mm, 17mm and 10mm all were spot on. So now just waiting for this cloud to go and im off out in the country! im off camping and climbing in the peak districk this weekend so im taking the scope with me.

Brilliant :) good range of EPs, have you tried using a barlow lens too? Have a great time camping/climbing - looks like the weather should be lovely (if just a tad too hot!) for you :headbang: Hopefully you'll be able to catch a glimpse at the Milky Way :)

yes got a barlow lens as well, tried that on the 25 and 17 worked very well. But was over power through window for the 10mm. Well i looked at the 10 day forcast and its thundery showers for the peaks this weekend. Mind you they never get it right.

I remember when I got my first scope about 18 months ago (12" dob- Yeah I started very big! :) ), I actually viewed several DSO's and Saturn for the first few weeks. I happened to get the scope around new moon. And sure anyway...."Its just the moon". I didn't bother with the moon for about 2 months after I got the scope!

One day I was working on the scope out in the back garden during daylight. Trying to get my head around collimation or something. My brother arrived at the house and came out back, "Hey, theres the moon, point the scope at it!"...."Nah, its just the moon and theres still daylight, I'll show you a Nebula later on"...."Ah go on, show me the moon!"

So I did.......I was blown away! I already knew something about apeture and resolution at this stage and yet I had let my views of the moon through a cheap 2 or 3" plastic lense department store scope 20 years previously colour my perception of the worthyness of pointing my scope at it. Silly, Silly me!

I think its the same with a lot of non astronomers too. I have experienced this doing outreach with the public too. After showing them Saturn for example, I'll say, "Do you want to look at the moon?" They'll respond with a not necessarily very enthusiastic, "I suppose,why not". Invariably I get a bigger "WOW!! OMG!!" from them than from Saturn :) Quite often, they'll say that they didn't expect it to look so amazing because the view through their kids Fisher Price telescope didn't particularily impress them and like me, assuming the moon was an uninteresting object and not putting the disappointing views down to previously viewing through a cheap toy.

The moon is normally held in low regard by other amateurs who regard it as a source of light pollution. But given that you never get the same view twice and there are a lot of very hard to spot objects available if you have the right lighting, it can be a hobby all of it's own. It is also light pollution proof... my local lights mean I can read my Lunar 100 notes without any additional help.... so deep sky viewing will be limited.

What sized scope did you say you'd just taken delivery of?

Cheers, good luck in darker skies

PEterW

Sounds like you had a good moment and you wait until you get your 'scope in the real dark - I think you'll be well pleased Steve. Thanks for the report.

Speaking of the Moon, I'm going to admit that I currently see it as light pollution. :) However, as wee nipper, and had my powerhouse of a 40mm Tasco,:) I found much magic in the moon, but for some reason, I'm struggling now..

Has anyone got any ideas how to get excited about our closest satellite ?

Try the Lunar 100 (I'm on about 65 at the moment) and get a copy of "The Modern Moon" by Charles Wood. Add to that the Sky&Telescope foldable moon map and a copy of Rukl (look for "moon, mars and venus" second hand for a cheaper (and older) version and you're ready to go.

The moon doesn't make much impression on my local light pollution, so I see it as a welcome opportunity to see something interesting, though it's a bit low in the sky at the moment.

Remember that observing the moon is a bit like a lottery, with libration and the terminator position, you'll never likely see the same sight twice. You can always try sketching... (not something that I have any skill at).

All the best

PEterW

Archived