SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The ultimate star party tent

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it looks the part George, but a tad expensive I think.

A few poles and a large tarp sheet and a handy man could make a seperate enclosure for any size of setup.

Mind you, I didn't read the whole blurb about it, so maybe there is something special about it I've missed.:)

Ron.:headbang:

As tents go it doesn't actually look that bad. It is very large and seems to be made from high quality materials. I wouldn't be suprised to see a similar sized tent of that quality go for £400-500, without the openable roof of course which is clearly worth another £300-£400.

OMG is that tent gold plated.

Surely a bog standard tent with some windbreakers protruding from the opening is just a good.

Tent poles: One pole has a gold coloured end piece making it easy to distinguish from the other poles.theres yer Gold:D:D:D:D.......kev

There were a number of these at Kelling a few years ago, so someones got the money to pay for them. They did look really good though, I must say. Much better than some of the others I have seen.

I think someone is having a larf if they think any level headed person will actually pay that price for what is essentially a tunnel tent with a zip of roof....

I will be tent spotting at the next SGL star party :):D

I agree with Matthew Lane, having been in a tent once which was nearly shredded to pieces once in gail force winds, it taught me one thing, quality.

I am sure there are decent tents out there, some better than that or as good as for the price.

Looking at it, its quite structurally sound, well made. Something you want when the kit you own is worth perhaps 4-5 times the value of the accomodation. That tent is made to last.

to be honest, if i had the cash, and given the number of SP i am attending, yes i would buy it.

It would last years a tent like that. And i have owned some decent ones.

I did see a tent like it in the Canvey Island camp shop, without the unzipping partition though. They was REDUCED to £353

"Oh well"

Well,, I was lucky then, I got my Kendrick brand new in the box for £200, the new version with the silver fly sheet, blah blah,, I did have to drive a few hundred miles to pick it up, well worth it though,, this is my second tent and to be honest just a couple of years ago they were half the price, but still worth every penny, well in my case anyway

You can count mine at SGL if you like ,, :)

See you all there

Richard

Southampton

There were a number of these at Kelling a few years ago, so someones got the money to pay for them. They did look really good though, I must say. Much better than some of the others I have seen.

Those would have been the previous models you saw at Kelling Heath they would have cost around £400-500. There were problems with poles shattering and ripping the tent fabric in strong winds on early models.

Seems a bit of a steep increase in price for the new model

Regards

Kevin

For the last three times I have been away with my telescope, I have been using a utility tent. This is ceremonially lifted clear of the kit for imaging, then lifted back on afterwards.

So far it has endured gale force winds at Kelling Heath, -7 degrees ice and frosts in january, and also plenty of rain. Cost about 50 quid I think. 5 mins to put it up, 30 secs to move it for observing.

Its like this one

http://www.tamworthcamping.co.uk/tamworth_camping/3720/mia/d/outdoor+revolution+double+outhouse+utility+tent/pid/6814786

A good cheap method for covering the scope Tim.

Although the advantage of an Astro Tent is the shelter from the breeze and to stop light from the laptop dazzling visual observers or even to keep people from tripping over your kit.

In your case you have your PC etc in your awning and the scope a few feet away from it. So effectively you have a 'warm room'.

Regards

Kevin

Regards

Archived