Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light at f3.9, Trifid-Lagoon.

ollypenrice

The Baby Q with reducer had its first light over the last couple of nights, getting this one n the can. LRGB, 2 hours and 30 mins per colour binned. Bad idea to bin colour in a field of tiny stars but the object is low and not available for too long. The RGB image needed a lot of work to get it presentable. Thank you Noel and your Actions.

Flickr Photo Download: M8,M20CBabyQreduced

Cheers,

Olly

Olly, I hope you don't mind me doing this but when I saw this picture two thoughts went through what passes for my brain; Wow! and it's a pity it has a green background. I stole it and reset the background green to a lower value and blue a bit higher. I chose a spot just to the left of centre and went for a fairly neutral colour. Both curves were anchored towards the top to prevent changes of colour at a higher brightness. I couldn't resist lassoing M20 and giving it a bit more blue.

This has the same framing that I have been after doing but now all the good stuff is going by I am hemmed in by clouds and fog.

Dennis

post-15519-133877381646_thumb.jpg

Hi Dennis,

Feel free! The input is helpful. Like you I was aware of a greenish caste but I really wanted those Gendler-ish golden colours in the background sky. What a game, eh? My own attempts at less green/more red produuced artificial boundaries so I called a halt.

Right now I'm shooting Ha in the hope that a bit more red input will sort it and give more relief detail in the Lagoon as well.

When will it end??

Hope you get the weather soon.

Olly

Okay, here's a final (??) version with a big thanks to Dennis for two very useful critiques, the first to correct the green caste and the second to correct a flattening of the Lagoon after my first correction! Much appreciated.

What I'd still like to know, though, is how Gendler gets those golden tones in the sourthern Milky Way. Tom O'Donoghue had a similar problem with an excellent Snake Nebula he took here. It was a bit on the brown side rather than golden. Any ideas?

Flickr Photo Download: Lagoon and Trifid Nebulae

Olly

I wonder if he cheats! It's a filthy business I know but I did it all the time when I first went digital with 'normal' photography. I didn't really do art at school, we just had paint wars but I did learn later that brown is really just a dark yellow. Yellow is gold with a bit less red - technical isn't it?

I still can't find the pictures you mention but I am sure I remember seeing one or two. I just selected a brownish bit of your picture and added some red and green to make yellow. A bit more red turns it a sort of yucky gold.

Dennis

post-15519-133877382622_thumb.jpg

Archived