Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7000 - Colour Version

RichieJarvis

Hi All,

I've been watching some very useful tutorials today about how best to sharpen up detail - link is: Ken Crawford Tutorials

Anyway, after running through this on the Luminance layer from my North American Nebula data from last night, it made a huge difference! You can see the 'before' and 'after' images on my website: http://deepsky.org.uk/nebula/ngc7000.shtml

Here is the final image:

2009-06-27-NGC7000-Ha12x600-RGB7x200-Process2-Small.jpg

Details:

Date: 2009-04-27

Scope: Celestron C8 @ F/3.3

Camera: Starlight Xpress SXV-H9

Guide Scope: Astro Professional 102ED @ F/7

Guide Camera: SX Guidehead

Exposure (Ha): 12 x 600 seconds

Exposure (RGB): 7 x 200 seconds

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Richie

Some excellent detail in there Richie. The 'green stars' come from the Ha data giving slightly 'bloated' stars, have you tried running a deconvolution algorithm on the Ha data (CCD Sharp, available from the SBIG website does an excellent job), it does add something to the image though, so it's probably just a question of taste!

Steve..

Richie, do you really think you are gaining anything from all that deconvolution? Using de-con on the Ha channel (your M27 image) is an attempt to make the stars smaller in the channel in which they are already smaller! The NA Neb above shows some brownish artefacts around the stars which just look odd. If that is from de-con you are better off without it. Sorry to be picky but your exposure times at f3.3 are adequate to give you a good picture, something seems to be stifling it.

I must disagree with Paxo. Ha data normally gives you cyan stars when mixed with RGB. The Ha stars are not bloated, quite the opposite as they tend to be smaller and dimmer. Using de-con on stars that are already smaller than the RGB data would be counter productive.

Dennis

Hi Dennis - I've not blended the deconvolved stars - only the deconvolved edges of the nebula - thats what gives it the sharpness. Have a look at the before and after B&W images on my website, and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,

Richie

i dont spend too long processing.

align stack ddp a bit of levels and curves to stretch the histogram, and usually richardson lucy deconvo on the ha layer since it has a better SNR

i have never used photoshop, and have never used masks or layers

as long as the histogram has a good shape, thats all you need. And good skies.

paul

Archived