Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8" Revelation Dob - Review

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, it's so nice to finaly have people to talk to about my hobby. This is my first post, and looking to get my first telescope, I see that the 8" Revelation dobsonians seems to be a very attractive deal. 1/12 wave optics for £229 !!! There has got to be a catch. If not, then I am very tempted in getting one.

My concernes are the quality of the mirror mounts, I think someone mentioned somewhere that the mount for the primary is quite flimsy. Does anyone have a problem with the scope staying in collimation. What about the quality of the mirror coatings. How long do you think untill it is time for re-alluminizing. That's one of my biggest concernes, because I don't think there is anywhere here in London where I can get the mirrors coated, and I don't like the idea of posting the mirror off.

I will be very gratefull for any feedback, and I look forward to making a contribution to this website in the future with my observations.

Welcome aboard Lunar

Enjoy your stay :)

Re the Revelation DOB, dont concern yourself too much, I have one and a few

others around here have one.

Its a great scope, a bargain at the price, a good company that sells them and it has to

be one of the best built focusers on a "budget" DOB that I've seen.

Grab one and enjoy it

ASk away if you need any more info :)

Hi Lunar :)

I haven't heard of any problems with the 8" Revelation and I certainly wouldn't worry about re-coating the mirror - thats years away.

Personally, if I am asked to be critical, I think the springs that push against the larger (10 & 12 inch) primary mirrors are a little weak which can make collimation fiddly but that only applies to the larger mirrors and is easily fixed.

Buy it - you will love it :thumbleft:

Hmmm I just ordered an 8" Revelation from Telescope House for an amazing price :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Will be holding Steve personally responsible if its crud!!! :) :) :) :)

Arrives Tuesday at work, really looking forward to it. Any idea what Inside Diameter rings i need to order to get this on the LXD?

Regards

Russ

Hmmm I just ordered an 8" Revelation from Telescope House for an amazing price :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

If its as good as the 10" then it ain't a bad scope, gotta love the Chinese eh mate? Cracking price!!

Bring on the 16".......keep us posted Steve... :)

There are rumours of a 16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian, but then you already know that.

I hope it does happen :)

It would make sense; the argument for a truss dob gets stronger as aperture size increases.

Archived