Narrowband

What got you into astronomy and what sustains your interest?

ashenlight

I guess for me it was three things which hooked me as a child:

- always being sent to bed several hours before I actually went to sleep. My bedroom window faced south and in the winter I used to spend ages looking out at Orion, Sirius and the Plaides.

- The Ladybird book 'The Night Sky' - the pictures in it are so evocative - I was made up when I found a copy in a charity shop a few years ago - it took me right back!

- The Observers pocket guide to Astronomy by SPM - it helped me learn the constellations.

When I was 10 I received a Prinz Astral 400 60mm refractor - bought for the huge some of £60 (at lot of money in 1978 - £240 according to Calculator - UK Inflation | How much is money really worth now compared to history) for which I had to sacrifice my pocket money for a year and my Xmas present! Since then (and despite a slight hiatus of 25 years) I have been hooked

Richard

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son got me into Astronomy last year, he was taking his Astronomy badge at Cub Scouts.

We purchased a cheap Zennox refractor out of the local Admag and looked at the Moon & Saturn. Elliot obtained his badge and still looks through the eyepiece every so often.

The thrill of learning about the night sky has been an aw inspiring journey for us both.

Although Elliot has lost a little interest, Dad continues to explore the never ending detail that the Moon displays (whenever the cloud gods allow). Although it took me over 45 years to look skywards, I can see this fascination lasting many years to come.

Paul

I remember being amazed by the moon through a Tasco 50mm refractor when I was about 8. Then a gap before I did a bit of physics at university and got a chance to look at Saturn through a big university telescope (it was so amazing to see up close that my legs nearly gave way!). Then another gap until just recently when I started looking up again.

Being interested in Astronomy since the age of Eleven. I remember my Dad (God Bless His Soul) bought me a 10x50 Prinz Binos. After looking at the Moon through those - it got me hooked. What Sustains me : So much to learn & see, especially trying to image with the best equipment that one can afford.

When I was a wee boy my dad and my uncle used to take me and my two cousins camping to Loch Goil in Argyll.

I can vividly remember sitting at night ,round the dying embers of the campfire , gazing up into the inky black sky at the thousands of stars scattered across the sky.

I asked my dad what they were and he explained to me that they were Suns,just like ours, but millions of miles away. When he told me about the light taking unimaginable (to a 5 year old) amounts of time to reach our eyes I was hooked, awe struck at what I was seeing. I remember wondering if the stars I was looking at were even still there or whether they had "died" centuries ago and I was just seeing the light from before then.

I still have that same sense of wonder now and I love to look at the night sky with or without telescope and feel that same thrill I had 40 years ago.

Hmmm.. well for me it was all the astronomy and fact books that i used to read.. from when i could remember i was reading these books, gaining infomation and knowlage along the way. From there i wanted too see for myself what was up there, too see if all the things i read was true.. so i asked my mum if i could have a telescope for christmas, xmas came and there is was!! i got a 4" tasco reflector which showed me the craters on the moon!! i was hooked! i just wanted to know more and more.. got a pair of my first binos at about age 10 and saw how many stars there was in the sky.. AMAZING!!

When i was in a position to buy my own (Proper) kit i got my ETX125 and saw a hell of a lot more that what i knew was up there, this soon got me into imaging as i wanted to show others what i have seen!

pretty soon i wanted something a little more pro, so i chopped in my ETX and got my new 10" skywatcher, and i love it dearly!!

The think that keeps me going is the constant persuit of gaining knowlage of the stars above and the exitement of discovering something new.. Best hobby there is and i cant wait to see what the future brings.

Dave.

Reading through these posts, I'm struck by the similarities between them and my own story (which I'll give later)...

Ashenlight, I too read Sagan's Cosmos and remember feeling a great affinity with Ellie's introduction to astronomy... great book but the film was disappointing -they missed out the best part, Grand Central station et al...

Also remember eagerly watching every episode of the tv series... Looks a little dated now though. Considering the advances in astronomy since the 70's, this would be an ideal time for a remake.

My son got me into Astronomy last year, he was taking his Astronomy badge at Cub Scouts.

We purchased a cheap Zennox refractor out of the local Admag and looked at the Moon & Saturn. Elliot obtained his badge and still looks through the eyepiece every so often.

The thrill of learning about the night sky has been an aw inspiring journey for us both.

Although Elliot has lost a little interest, Dad continues to explore the never ending detail that the Moon displays (whenever the cloud gods allow). Although it took me over 45 years to look skywards, I can see this fascination lasting many years to come.

Paul

That's a great story Paul :headbang:

My daughter got her Astronomy badge when she was in the Brownies. Her local pack (is that the right word ?) did not do it but we found out that some Cardiff brownie packs were and had sorted out an astronomy evening at the Techniquest in Cardif so we were able to "piggy back" on that event - it was great fun - I think my daughter enjoyed it almost as much as I did :)

Having re-read the thread title and my earlier post I realise that I had not mentioned what sustains my interest in the hobby which I think is that I find it very theraputic to look at these fantastic, distant, massive and ancient objects which are slowly playing out their various life cycles to the beat of the universe. For me, it puts our rather insignificant affairs on this tiny planet into perspective and thats a good thing I think.

The other thing that has made a major contribution to my enjoyment of the hobby for the past few years has been this forum - never a dull moment on SGL !.

John

Paul G, that is a lovely story.

It's fab to learn something from a child.

Thanks lulu

I hope Elliot will remember the experience when he is as old as me.

That's a great story Paul :headbang:

My daughter got her Astronomy badge when she was in the Brownies. Her local pack (is that the right word ?) did not do it but we found out that some Cardiff brownie packs were and had sorted out an astronomy evening at the Techniquest in Cardif so we were able to "piggy back" on that event - it was great fun - I think my daughter enjoyed it almost as much as I did :)

Having re-read the thread title and my earlier post I realise that I had not mentioned what sustains my interest in the hobby which I think is that I find it very theraputic to look at these fantastic, distant, massive and ancient objects which are slowly playing out their various life cycles to the beat of the universe. For me, it puts our rather insignificant affairs on this tiny planet into perspective and thats a good thing I think.

The other thing that has made a major contribution to my enjoyment of the hobby for the past few years has been this forum - never a dull moment on SGL !.

John

Thanks John

I think that Brownies/Cubs are a great way of learning/interacting and preparing for the big wide world.

I can be Moon gazing for hours and not know it and nothing else enters my head which is nice after a stressful day at work.

I have made some sensible Astronomy purchases with the help of SGL, it's a fantastic resource for someone like me.

Paul

These are brilliant stories every one, some are very heart warming indeed! It is always so rewarding to pass your love of astronomy onto the younger generation.

John, I really think it is therapeutic too, bit of perspective goes a long way. If only more people would (or could - LP!) look up.

I think alot of us have SGL to thank, by the looks of this thread, for our developments in the world of amateur astronomy. I for one know I have come a very long way in my short 4 month membership... never did I think I'd really, thoroughly, understand the workings of a telescope... or begin to understand astrophotography... or get to see the wonders I've pointed my scope at, with the help from various members. SGL, you rock.

I can't remember exactly got me in to astronomy, but I think that it was finding a book from just before Apollo that first got me interested in space at least.

I know I bugged my parents for a few years to get me a telescope and after first getting a good set of binoculars I got my first telescope for Christmas when I was 9 or 10. It wasn't the best scope, but it can produce good views of the moon and I could even pick out Jupiter's Galilean moons which impressed me no end. Unfortunately that was about it and I kind of lost interest for a few years, only occasionally taking the telescope out and usually getting frustrated. MY interest in all things space related never left though.

Roll on to lambing time this year, and I was spending lots of time outside under clear skies. Before I knew it, I was looking at telescopes again. Didn't take me long to buy one either.

At the moment I'm having lots of fun just observing, but I'm also dabbling in imaging. Since I relish a challenge, I think imaging is going to become a major hobby for me in the future.

SGL deserves a mention here too as it is the first place I come to look for information. Usually a quick search comes up with the anwers too.

I know the bug has bitten as for the first time I can remember, I'm looking forward to shorter nights.

gareth

Not really sure where my original 'interest' sprang from as no-one in my family had any interest in astronomy at all.

Like most others in the UK, my interest developed in the 1970's by reading books written by Patrick Moore & others.

In the 1980's I became very interested in daytime SLR photography so I guess it was inevitable that my two hobbies would eventually combine.

During the 1990's there was a feeling of isolation before the advent of the astronomy forum. Being able to communicate with others all over the world nowadays thanks to the internet has been a tremendous boost in reviving my interest in astronomy and makes you realise that there are many fellow nutters out there! :)

almost 99 percent of amateur astronomers i have come across say that even when they were kids they were fascinated by stars and night sky so i guess i wouldnt be wrong if i say astronomers are borned not made:D

Sorry another long one...

Im just one of those people that is easily fascinated by things and the night sky has just been a magnet for me ever since early childhood. I always remember just looking up at every opportunity with a sense of awe. The first thing that really got me interested properly was the Total Lunar Ecipse of 1996 which I stayed up until the wee hours to watch from my bedroom window through the night (it wasnt a school night :-p.).

Of course my interest got serious when I got my first scope in June of 2005. For this reason, the summer triangle and constellation of Cygnus has always been close to my heart. Every year it gives me a real lift. The whole sky reminding me of all those reference points that I frantically learned. (First viewed star, First DSO's). Its funny how important timing can be. It seems which ever time of year you buy your first scope, that particular sky brings about those most special 'first time' memories. The online community has played a massive part in keeping my interest at such a high level. Helping me with some quite terrifying kit problems and technical hurdles. Being able to return the favour to up and coming beginners. Sharing photo's views and observations. Its made sharing this once thought lonely hobby so easy.

Without doubt one other thing that really gives my interest in astonomy a real boost is when family and friends ask me if they could have a look through the scope sometime. Again the requests usually starting around this time of year when the weather heats up. It usually involves me explaining the problem with June and it being worth their while waiting until the end of July or August to have a look. I simply LOVE showing the night sky to people who are perhaps not really in to the hobby but just have a curiosity about it. I guess its like re-living those precious 'first times' all over again. Your first view of the moon, saturn or first DSO. You see it through their eyes and their reactions. (Kind of like re-living your childhood through your children.. is that too much of a wierd analogy? lol).

As a final note, as already been mentioned.. the ever changing sky though a year helps to keep the interest alive especially if your in to photography too. As a side note, I have learned that the phtoography side of this hobby can quickly take over and I am so glad I haven't forgot the importance of simply going out and observing. (Thanks mainly to non-astro minded people who ask to have a look through the scope.. quite ironic really).

Matt

Awesome stories, very inspiring.

By way of quietly introducing myself, I'd like to tell my story on how I ended up in this hobby.

As a kid, I'd spend most of my summers at my grandparents. I was/am a naturally curious sort, so I'd rummage in the attic a lot, finding all kinds of interesting (to a kid) things in there. One day I found my grandfather's WW2 binos, Zeiss ones at that. Aparently he was on the home defense brigade as a plane spotter. That was my intro to astronomy, I don't know how many nights I sat in the back yard ogling the moon and stars through them.

Then the moon landing. I was seven then, but still remember it pretty clearly. An amazing time, hope to see something like that again in my lifetime. Right there and then my goal became to become an astronaut, or failing that, to work for NASA.

In highschool, I had my first and so far only view of a totally dark sky... you know, so dark that the brighter parts of the milky way actually cast a light on the ground.

School and life took over, not much time to pursue astronomy in any way bar the occasional gaze at the night sky. Later in my career I was fortunate enough to briefly work for NASA (well a NASA contractor) in a space related field, so I guess in a way I fulfilled my goal.

Fast forward. A few years ago, my wife, having heard my tales of my youth, decided to surprise me for Christmas with a department store scope. I was like a kid again, spent don't know how many late nights peering through that little refractor. Since then, been through god knows how many kits, all types and sizes. Finally pared it down to a "minimal" setup, hence my alias. :)

What keeps me going? Tbh, been kinda in and out of it for the past couple of years. Frustrated with my skies (lp keeps getting worse here), and my skills haven't much improved either. But not giving up totally, still enjoy going outside on a clear night, opening the roof and gazing at the stars. The magic never goes away.

• 6 months later...

For me it really started out during the Apollo era. Aged seven, I already nagged and nagged and my parents relented and let me stay up late to see many of the milestones live on TV. The interest simmered and really took off when I was about 16, and we were told that there used to be an astronomy club at our school, and the telescope (a 70mm F/10 achromat) was still at school. I became the chair of the new astronomy club. We had a locky start, with a September lunar eclipse to kick off the club. I then devoured all the astronomy books in the library, and started teaching stellar evolution to my fellow club members. I built my own 6" f/8 at that time.

I decided to study astronomy at that time. Before going to university (Kapteyn Institute of the University of Groningen) I had a summer school in the Weizmann Institute in Rechovot, Israel, where I enrolled for a mini course in astronomy. It turned out the teacher was unavailable at the last minute. The organizer of the summer school knew from my resume I headed the astronomy club, and asked me to teach the course, which I did. It was great because I got access to a neat little Newtonian and a small Questar telescope.

During my studies I actually had a chance to operate the 1.5 m infrared telescope of the Arcetri observatory in Gornergrat, Switzerland. I also first encountered digital image analysis during this period, and really fell in love with that. Though I initially left astronomy as a profession (image analysis and computer vision is my main line of work), I kept observing. I cannot look at a clear night sky without wonder. It gives me a sense of belonging to a much larger world than the small one we live in in everyday life, and puts everyday problems into perspective.

This was somehow brought home to me when cycling from my home to the city centre shortly after sunset, and the crescent moon (with Earth-shine), Venus, Saturn, and Jupiter were all visible. Together with the dying glow of the sun, they told me at what angle I stood with respect to the solar system . It was an almost Zen moment of revelation.

Finally, what keeps me interested now is the fact that I am actually PAID to collaborate with the guys from the astronomy department, and get access to all sorts of really cool data!

Cheers

Michael

I got a Sony Alpha in August, and after a September evening taking night photo's at the beach, I started trying to capture the moon. That was the start.

However, when I was younger I followed the Apollo missions, and watched Sky at Night, and always wanted a telescope - but never got given one. Watched Cosmos. At Uni I read some of Galileo's "Dialogue", Koestler's "Sleepwalkers", Copernicus, etc. Since then I've read Scientific American and New Scientist now and then, and watched Horizon, including astronomy. After moving from London I kept noticing there were these lights in the sky, and once I started taking pictures, I knew I had to have a telescope and start seeing things for myself.

Seeing the Galillean moons was a big 'wow' for me, as was seeing Saturn & its ring(s) - and still are. The thing that interests me is not astronomy, it is that some of these things are really beautiful. Seeing Jupiter set in between its moons, or the Pleiades - or when I see the Milky way with the naked eye. Just stunning to look at.

M.

This was somehow brought home to me when cycling from my home to the city centre shortly after sunset, and the crescent moon (with Earth-shine), Venus, Saturn, and Jupiter were all visible. Together with the dying glow of the sun, they told me at what angle I stood with respect to the solar system . It was an almost Zen moment of revelation.

That has me close to tears, I feel exactly the same :) beautifully written.

Michael, that was a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us.

Wishing you all many more years with our wonderful hobby. Now all we need are some clear skies :eek:

I'd always had an interest in the sky and the stars, but nothing ever really happened, till about 2.5 years ago, I was helping on of the kids with some badge work, and it required that he look at the moon through an optical instrument. All we had was a pair of 7x32 binoculars, we looked through double glazing, and that was that.

I have my dad to thank for my interest. As a child I was always fascinated hearing about space, how vast it is, and hearing about all the things my dad had seen on his travels. I ,probably like many of you just found it to be amazing beyond belief!! Even to this day when I read about space or even when my dad re tells the stories and reels off space facts I still feel overwhelmed. I remember almost every clear night we would go out into the backgarden, even if just for a minute, to have a quick gaze. We would just watch, not talking, just enjoying what we were seeing, every time seemed unique and I was always went to bed with head full of questions but at the same time with a remarkable feeling of fulfillment. I dont know what it is but looking up does seem to put lifes "troubles" into perspective and gives me a "inner peace"

Anyway as I got older I still found myself looking up at the sky at any given opportunity, even if I did get strange looks. I then went to university to study biochemistry (from vast to tiny) and although I did still remain interested I focused more on my degree subject. Since completing my degree, getting a job and moving out to my own place, I found I again had time to start focusing more on astronomy. It has only been recently that I obtained a telescope, a life long wish, and the passion has sparked again.

My dad and I still go out into the very same backgarden and star gaze as I did when I was younger. My dad still tells his stories in the most inspiring way but this time I find I can add my own astro tales now and tell my dad all the things I have seen. The other week, myself, my dad, brother, partner, niece and nephew were out enjoying the skies, it really is a family passion that I hope my niece and nephew will enjoy as much as I have.

My earliest memories of anything to do with space was when I found a collection of Brookbond Tea cards entitled 'The Race Into Space' in a kitchen cupboard. This was back in the early 70s. Just found pics of them here.

I was not even old enough to go to school yet and still remember watching an item on the news where american astronauts and russian cosmonauts exchanged hand-shakes after docking.

But it was a few years later when I picked up The Ladybird book 'The Night Sky' and The Observers Book of Astronomy that my interest really took off.

Now, I have a degree in Astronomy and Physics and just enjoy spending time looking at the stars.

Allways found the universe interesting from a young age, enjoyed touching upon the subject briefly at school. My dad gave me a book entitled universe early on I think it was fairly old it may might have been one of the life libary books (think thats what it's called).

Didn't buy my first scope till around 4-5 years ago wasn't a very good one used it once never bothered again till about 3 year's ago when I saw a discount book on astronomy. The book gave me a better idea of what to expect and the equipment to buy, bought the bins soon after and never looked back.

What sustains me partly is the thirst to see more and more objects, to dive deeper and deeper into the universe we inhabit, also peering at the relatively more nearby stuff like the planets thrills me I can't quite put it into words.

I've had a few interests over the years but nothing is more rewarding and amazing as astronomy no other hobby deserves the same time and commitment as this does, I gave up computer games well over a year ago and haven't regretted it since :)

I don't know how I first got interested in astronomy - nobody else in the family has been. I very clearly remember being about six or seven coming back in the car from my grandparents house at night and pressing my face against the car window so I could see 'up' as much as possible! So I suppose it's had a hold over me for a very long time! Of course, life and everything else has meant I've drifted away and back to it again - I studied it as part of a physics degree, and have read lots of books about the cosmos and astrophysics and so on. Then a little while ago I dug out my binoculars and started looking up again! The sky is simply such a magnificent sight I don't see how anyone can fail to be intrigued by it. Sometimes, walking back home of an evening I will see the Moon and Venus shining brightly, and think of them and us all spinning around the sun... it makes me feel dizzy! Also, I have to say the names appeal to the poet in me.... Aldeberan, Deneb, Antares... all beautiful names.

Archived