Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Veil, 13 hours with the FSQ.

ollypenrice

Hi All,

I posted the RGB earlier. Then over two nights I shot 2 hours per panel of O111 and Ha, combined them in the trusty Registar and applied them as luminance, trying to keep the natural colour as much as possible. It has come out at a rather monstrous 11 Meg so I'll put a link to Flickr.

Flickr Photo Download: CYGNUS LOOP

Olly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arran,

You mean the brownish patch? It's not your eyes, it's one of the most fascinating aspects of the Veil complex. The supernova which went off between where the two main arcs now are sent a blast out into space. This swept up much of the random interstellar gas and dust and drove it ahead of the shock front. The result is that the sky 'inside' the arcs has been swept clean and is very transparent - higher star count - while that outside is unswept and possibly even heavily contaminated by stuff driven before the main front, hence opaque. Or so I understand.

Peter, we have been getting 4 hours a night over the shortest nights of the year. I have Tom O'DOnoghue staying and so between us we are getting 8 hours' data a night. Not bad! It's a shame we don't have a third mount because we have everything else for a third setup bar that.

Cheers,

Olly.

Fascinating! it looks like the outside arcs are opposite each other in left-right direction whereas the two middle arcs are opposite each other in a far-near direction. It reminds me of the remnant of the 1987A supernova.

Thats a fantastic image of one of my favorite DSO's Olly - thanks for posting the link to it.

All those stars - there's got to be life out there somewhere surely !.

John

Archived