Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium - question about time ?

Hi there. I've often wondered if the view in the sky is aligned to the view from my window and not I know it's not. About 15mins ago, the sun was up in my back garden and I fired up Stellarium and it told me that the sun had set. So, I took an hour off the time so that I could synch up the view in the sky to that on the PC and it was almost bang on.

So, given that the program is picking up the time from my PC (I realise you can make a manual adjustment) I wonder why this is ?

When I closed down and restarted the program, once again, the sun had set.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

PS - I have set the location as close as possible to where I live so I don't think that's the issue do you ?

You need to set your altitude correctly and remember the default background pictures are not the views you have.

To get around this I have made an acurate panorama photo from my mount head of my viewing spot and put this into Stellarium along with the exact hieght above sea level.

When you open Stellarium it always goes to the system clock settings on your PC. IE it does not save the settings when you close.

You need to set your altitude correctly and remember the default background pictures are not the views you have.

To get around this I have made an acurate panorama photo from my mount head of my viewing spot and put this into Stellarium along with the exact hieght above sea level.

What FL did you shoot it at and how easy was it to get into Stellarium?

Peter

Also check the config.ini file (Start/Programs/Stellarium)

Find the following section and make sure it looks like:

[localization]

app_locale = en_GB

date_display_format = yyyymmdd

sky_culture = western

sky_locale = en_GB

time_display_format = system_default

time_zone = system_default

Incidentally, there are loads of extra switches in this file, and you can load comet ephemeris data in there as well.....

You are running on BST rather than UT, turn off the daylight savings option and you'll be sorted - BST is an hour ahead of UT - Universal Time. The world outside your window does not adjust itself to keep up with UK farming/harvesting times!

Arthur

Archived