Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First ever go at the M13

Milliways

My first go at the M13.

40X30s (total 20mins) subs stacked in DSS (had a few dark frames but looked better without em)

Skywatcher 250PX expolorer guided on a HEQ5 syntrek. Nikon D60.

The Maltings next to me had there flood lights on so the image has quite a bit of light polution.. Work in progress though :)

I think there is a little galaxy on the bottom left hand side??

post-15185-133877378806_thumb.jpg

Super start there, core is coming on nicely :) As Gaz said, the galaxy you can see is NGC 6207, but inbetween this is another galaxy - IC4617 . I've borrowed your image to mark it out, thought you might like to know you've managed to catch your second galaxy too :D

post-16040-133877378887_thumb.jpg

Within the white square is a parallelogram of stars - above this is the (very faint) IC4617. Congratulations :p Here's some sources on it if you want to confirm this for yourself:

The Astronomy Connection: Ode to IC4617 - Galaxies near M13

Art Russell's Monthly Messier Star-Hop; September #2 (star hop #3)

Brilliant image, really like it :)

Amanda

It's a lovely little (although I'm sure not literally little, lol) galaxy to look out for on these M13 images :D always gives me a smile when it pops out. Just gotta look for that parallelogram of stars and go from there. Hopefully Milliways will be even more chuffed now they've got their SECOND galaxy too :):D

I had another go at sorting the colours out.. used noise ninja to get rid of all the noise.

This is my second attempt :D

I see the galaxy you where on about :p came out a bit nicer as did the one at the bottom.. there is almost a spiral structure visible :)

post-15185-133877378894_thumb.jpg

I had another go at sorting the colours out.. used noise ninja to get rid of all the noise.

This is my second attempt :D

I see the galaxy you where on about :p came out a bit nicer as did the one at the bottom.. there is almost a spiral structure visible :)

I am calling you hawk-eye from now on :)

post-15185-133877378902_thumb.jpg

It's a lovely little (although I'm sure not literally little, lol) galaxy to look out for on these M13 images :p always gives me a smile when it pops out. Just gotta look for that parallelogram of stars and go from there. Hopefully Milliways will be even more chuffed now they've got their SECOND galaxy too :D:D

Hehe too right :) 2 galaxies woot woot!! :)

Nice one Milliways !! If you're gonna have another bash try for more for longer :D that should start to bring stuff right out as I learned recently.

XLNT effort !

Karlo

Thanks mate :)

Will be having another bash tonight if the weather holds, do you mean longer exposures? i tryed 120s and 60s but they produced too much (red) light polution.. 30s worked although still visable in the image :p

Next time you are in the mood for spending, grab yourself a light pollution filter!

You will be able to increase your subs to as long as you want!

Also to help with colours, do this to have your image nicely colour balanced right from the stack:

After clicking 'Stack checked pictures' in DSS, click recommended settings.

In that section you can scroll down and ensure you use the option that says:

"If the colour balance in the resulting image is hard to fix......."

After clicking 'Stack checked pictures' in DSS, click recommended settings.

In that section you can scroll down and ensure you use the option that says:

"If the colour balance in the resulting image is hard to fix......."

Hmm i dont have that in my list ??

Sorry mate, didn't realise you hadn't got a LP filter, can only reiterate what's been said-put it high up on your to buy list :)

Karlo

The misses has bought me a niodmium (spelling) filter from flo... (on its way) that ok for that?

Been playing catchup and just checked this one out .......... so many threads,so little time.:D

Anyhow,thought I try darkening and desaturation of the background of your rather nice image......... here is the result..... a bit easier to make out the detail I think but not too sure about how the colour has responded.:)

post-13495-133877379131_thumb.jpg

Archived