SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

quick veil

Tim

Spent some time trying to make sure everything optical was perfectly lined up on My GSO telescope, but looks like something is still amiss, the stars in the top left are still very stretched. Any ideas appreciated. The stars in the centre of the image are nice and round, and are evenly balanced when defocussed. The vignetting around the edges is pretty even too.

But with the lack of DSO images this week I thought I'd post it anyways, just to make the numbers up!

Its about 2 hours with 8" GSO and QHY with CLS fliter.

Cheers

TJ

post-14037-133877378539_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this TJ, I agree, not very many DSOs in the imaging department this week. Can't help with the technical side of things but I think it's great :) once you get the stretched stars sorted out it'll be spot on. Out of interest, where is this DSO situated?

Amanda

Somewhere between Deneb and Vega Amanda. You can see it visually, esp if u have an OIII filter.

Search for NGC6960 (The witches broom, easy to find due to bright star) and go from there.

You havingsome fun with the OTA's at the moment TJ but better to sort themout now Isuppose... HAvent had a chance to get out this week and I just can't be bothered to dodge clouds on these short night nights... roll on autumn... even the moons too low to image :p

Are you used to giving people directions TJ :D

Between Deneb and Vega... hmmmmmm.... :)

[ATTACH]23381[/ATTACH]

I had a sweep up through Cygnus with my binoculars a couple of nights ago (a brief gap in the cloud allowed this)...forgot to tell you Peter... I can really see why you love this area so much. It was chockablock with stars, should point the scope that way soon I think.

On the grand scale of things, I reckon "between Deneb and Vega" is good enough :)

I have got one of them 5 star artificial jobbies, and spent some time last night collimating my SCT. I dont think to date I have EVER worked with it being perfectly collimated, but hopefully this will get it as close as I can get it. I also got a bahtinov mask for it off that guy on ebay from Birmingham. Good quality, acrylic.

I also picked up a new toy to go on the back of it yesterday (sxv-h9), and I'm quite eager to get a first light with it in its new found state. I'm going to give it a year or so, and if I cant get results im happy with, i'll flog the C9.25, GSO, OO 6 inch and put the proceeds toward something else. I have my eye on a nice astrograph :D

Heaven only knows why the GSO has that wonky corner.

Arran, I quite like the look of the Orion optics carbon fibre AG's, but if my plans to be a gazillionaire accelerate, then i'd be looking for one like in this link; Equipment

The guy here got an APOD today with it, great pic, but this one of the Iris Neb has to be one of my favourites

NGC7023 Iris 80

It seems to me that big, fast OTA's are the only realistic way to get to grips with those dark nebulas and emissions. I guess a dark sky helps too of course, but these pics oooooooze quality.

One day eh?

Hope you get on well with the Atik, looking forward to your first light.

:)

The filters are in the post Richie!! Cant ever see me doing "Black n white" pics though, i'll colour them in with crayons if I have to.........

Once I am used to the SX camera, and seeing how I get on with it, then I plan to set up a dual imaging system for combining the data in Registar.

And the auto filter wheel I suppose....

Nice to see your doing your bit to keep the economy ticking over :)

Decent scope needs decent skies... get away from carppy GB... further south for a bet selection of targets...

I can't see the gazzillionaire bit happening any time soon though unless it's in the negative...

Is that a wolf at the door :D

Yeah those ASA scopes look sweet.

Was checking them out after Steve posted about the mount they do.

I agreee with you about a big fast scope though. I think my next one will be along the same lines. I want to get in close and detailed with my shots :)

Ron,

It's got the Baader focusser on it, and yes, the larger 2ndary. I'll go over the collimation yet again, on a bench.

These fast tubes really show up the slightest misalignment.

Oh, and I think I know the answer to the mask on the mirror end causing triangle stars, and believe it or not, it was because the balance was absolutely even once the mask was applied, and the tube could float slightly between the teeth ofthe gears, with the mask off, the weights were again the heavier side and the tube would pull against them. That is the only explanation I can come up with, and it makes sense, in a wierd sort of way.

Spent some time trying to make sure everything optical was perfectly lined up on My GSO telescope, but looks like something is still amiss, the stars in the top left are still very stretched. Any ideas appreciated. The stars in the centre of the image are nice and round, and are evenly balanced when defocussed. The vignetting around the edges is pretty even too.

But with the lack of DSO images this week I thought I'd post it anyways, just to make the numbers up!

Its about 2 hours with 8" GSO and QHY with CLS fliter.

Cheers

TJ

TJ, As you may remember we have the same scope and I guess the same issues as well. I have struggled with the same problem.

For me the major issue was collimation or rather lack of good collimation, also some of the problem on my setup was sag when using certain adaptors. I don't think sag is your problem as the elongation is on the wrong side, I know this would depend on your camera orientation.

I started to get things working better after star collimating I wish I could remember but I had more success when star collimating on one particular side of focus, I know one side of focus did not seem to show the errors as much. I need to check.

The attached image is probably my best effort to date with this set up although soft, the image shows better star shapes than I have managed previously, so I guess I'm heading down the right road

Dave

post-14400-133877379104_thumb.jpg

Archived