Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An unreasonable request

I'de virtually decided on the 130SLT until i ordered it. God must have decided that the SLT was a bad idea as David Hinds can't get them until the end of June, Celestron Tech support got back to me (eventually) and told me they rate the mount at just 8lb's which isn't quite enough for the ED100 + a 2" eyepiece, and after telling my missus all my woes she's all but agreed to me having a shed in the garden which alleviates my needs for a lighter mount completly. Women! You can't live with them and you can't kill them and claim the life insurance!

So back to the drawing board and now im looking again at the CG5-GT, the HEQ5, and maybe even the Sphinx if i can stretch to that much money.

The CG5 is favorite at the moment though as i like the Celestron skyalign technology and am familiar with their hand controllers. The Vixen skypod looks quite nice too, but seems very expensive for a 5kg rated mount even if it is cheaper than the sphinx.

Decisions decisions!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, i like the little SLT mounts though, celestron should make a GOTO fork mount that can take 7kg. It would be a best seller im sure.

Does anyone have any preferences between the CG5 and HEQ5? Whats the software like on the HEQ5?

The Skyscan HEQ5 is heavier and can take a bigger scope than the CG5 (which you may not need if you only want to mount the ED100).

The software on the Celestron is a lot more mature than the HEQ5, so I'd guess it'd have less issues.

The Skyscan HEQ5 is heavier and can take a bigger scope than the CG5 (which you may not need if you only want to mount the ED100).

The software on the Celestron is a lot more mature than the HEQ5, so I'd guess it'd have less issues.

The CG5 is rated at 10kg, which is probably about as large as i'de want to go. The mature software is a big plus point for the CG5 too. As well as it being a whole lot cheaper than the HEQ5. If i could justify the money i'de jump at the sphinx, but i dont think i can. The CG5-GT seems to be the winner. But then i said that about the SLT a few days ago. Now i just have to convince the missus that turning my shed into an observatory is a good idea.....

Unless they've changed very recently, the systems still are different I think. I'd guess it'll be something Synta/Celestron will look at in the future though.

Not sure Gaz, the EQ6 installs in SNP as a Celestron handset.

Arthur

It maybe a Celestron (if comes up on and works with SNP it must be! :D), but the menus, features (like sync), objects and alignment methods etc are different on the Nexstar and the Skyscan, they can't be the same systems.

Im fairly sure they arnt. Even though Synta own both companies they try and keep them seperate and competing so they dont share technology.

Which is a bummer really as they should all be compatible and economies of scale would make them cheaper! Although saying that who would they compete against? Prices would rise perhaps through lack of competition

Anyway, decided on the CG5-GT mount. Although i have to buy a C6-NGT rather than a CG5-GT. The C6 is £100 cheaper for some reason? Bizare

Gordon I have a LXD75 goto that I use for my C8 Orangetube I am very soon to take posession of a Stellavue Nighthawk 80mm

just wondered if you have considered the lxmount the 75 is very very reliable now I know that issues where with the lxd55 mount but I can say the 75 is a great piece of kit :D

I've never used the LX75 or any meade mount for that matter. Not because they are no good, but because i simply havn't come into contact with them. I've ordered the CG5-GT and i'de rather stick with what i know (i'm old fashioned like that!)

I get my new mount on tomorrow so i'll let you know how i get on and maybe write a review.

Have just come back to this thread and not quite sure I have read it through properly. Gordon, are you exchanging your Vixen GP mount for CG5 :shock: Have I got this wrong?

Basicly yes. I appreciate that the GP is a "better" mount but the version i had was manual and i wanted to upgrade to GOTO. Installing GOTO on the GP would cost me about as much as the CG5-GT has cost me give or take. Plus i've brought the CG5 with a C6 newt OTA which i intend to sell on to make it even cheaper. I originally wanted something lighter than the GP which was my original reason for changing, but i've now been gifted with a shed (well i've not brought it yet but it's a done deal) so i can keep my heavy new mount in there.

I assume you were going to tell me im mad for getting rid of my Vixen GP?

I assume you were going to tell me im mad for getting rid of my Vixen GP?

:D :D No, I was going to tell you you were mad for changing to the CG5 for enhanced portability. I hadn't picked up on the shed bit. Basically you're changing to a ford focus with automatic transmission and sat nav from a manual Audi A3 and an AA atlas. Pays your money and takes your pick :D

The shed will be great and glad you're sticking with a "proper" mount

Archived