Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An unreasonable request

I'm thinking about having a change around in scopes. I currently have a ED100 on a Vixen GP with tracking via 2 MT1 motors but not GOTO. I would like to add GOTO and i have various options. However im finding that as i add more and more weight to my rig im using it less and less. Therefore i'de like to re-evaluate my options and think about getting a lighter rig.

Ideally i'de like exactly what i have now, a ED100, with GOTO (and this is the unreasonable request) that only weighs about 10kg. Now the ED100 is apparently 3.2kg, so this leaves precious little for my mount options. Plus a 7kg mount isn't likely to be very stable. However the vast majority of my observing is purely visual and as I live under mag 4 skies im thinking that i should really stop messing around with astrophotography anyway, or at least stick to webcam'ing the planets (DSLR's are heavy!)

Now as most EQ mounts require a counter weight this would eat up another 3kg of my payload (maybe a little less), so i was thinking about a AltAz mount instead. Possibly a fork mount even. I've seen Celestrons new SLT scopes and was wondering if these mounts would be solid enough to hold a ED100.

Does anyone know of a similar lightweight mount that has GOTO and is capable of handling a ED100?

My other option is to exchange my ED100 for a ED80, as I know that the SLT mount will happily carry a ED80 as others have done a similar conversion in the past on Cloudy Nights Forum. (the SLT mount has a standard vixen dovetail)

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as i add more and more weight to my rig im using it less and less. Therefore i'de like to re-evaluate my options.

Thats exactly where I am Gordon.

What I have decided to do (and this may not help you much) is run the Sentinal on the HEQ5 and turn the 8" into a Dob.

Now if you changed the ED100 for the ED80 - maybe you could consider the DOB option as well for the visual side.

Ant

Gordon, I have an ED80 on a Super Polaris and don't find the weight an issue. It is easy to carry the whole set up, including weights in place, out of the house and down to the bottom of the garden. The ED80 is a different animal to the ED100 though isn't it? Shorter f/l and designed more for deep sky imaging.

Unfortunatly my study is upstairs (bad planning on my behalf) and i dont have a conservatory where i can leave my kit close to the garden. So lugging 25kg of mount and telescope downstairs in one piece is out of the question for me, hence my desire for something a little lighter on my back. I like the ED100, it's perfect for lunar and planetary observing. The ED80, as you say Martin, is more a DSO scope, but my mag 4 skies kind of rule that out. The advantage of a light setup also is that i can easily transport it to a dark site should the desire arise.

Not that I can offer too much here however, this is the reason why I've stuck to the Sentinal & Starmax Mak on my EQ3 - (small & light). I suffer from a bad back and can easily put it out.

Goto should be available for the EQ3 and EQ5 shortly. EQ5 model should fit the GP. I don't know if that helps Gordon.

Won't be cheap though, likely to be £300.

I would be loathed to give up (unless absolutely forced too :D :D :lol::D ) the ED 100. It's sooo much better than the ED80. It can do everything, can be your only scope. Never felt that way with the ED80.

The ED100 can be focal reduced back to f6 for wider field deep sky. But provides some welcome image scale at its native f9.

Just my thoughts. I wouldn't have ditched mine, it's taken a major change of circumstance to do so.

Many regards

Russ

btw Gordon, i got your PM, many thanks. I did a lengthy reply last night but the internet connection went down before i could send. Will send it again tonight. Just so you know i haven't ignored your PM.

Many regards

Russ

I do like the idea of adding GOTO to my current setup, and will explore that option, but it doesnt get me any close to a lighter rig. Maybe what i need to do is change my setup routine instead of changing my equipment. More thought needed!

Gaz i've PM'd you :D

Russ, i look forward to your reply to my PM :D

Thanks for all the help folks!

If you stick with the Vixen, I've got a GOTO kit for sale (handset, mounting brackets, motors), that going up on Ebay tonight. Let me know if you are interested.

:shock: :shock:"Too late" came the cry. At least not having goto is improving my star hopping skills :D

It's not a done deal yet mart! i agree about the "learning the skies" bit, but i must admit i do like GOTO as it gives me more time to actually observe. Especially as im under mag 4 skies and half the time i can't see the blumming thing im looking for with the naked eye!

I got by without GOTO for 23 years. But the last 5 months i've been spoilt by the EQ6 Skyscan. Saves so much time and even places the object on the CCD chip with only a 1 star alignment. Really cool!

Russ

I got by without GOTO for 23 years. But the last 5 months i've been spoilt by the EQ6 Skyscan. Saves so much time and even places the object on the CCD chip with only a 1 star alignment. Really cool!

Russ

Drool... :D

Quote from: rus on Today at 02:39:16 PM

Russ

Drool...

Hey Gaz when you get it, just choose an area of the sky that interests and perform the 1 Star alignment on a star in that region. It nails all the objects in that part of the sky. You wouldn't believe how quickly i rattled through the galaxies of Ursa Major.

Russ

Yeah im 90% convinced at the moment that thats the route im going to take. Buy a little 130SLT celestron and throw the OTA away (or sell it) and stick my ED100 on the mount. The SLT mounts arn't much though and im not 100% sure they will be enough mount for the ED100. I hope so though as that combination would fit my bill perfectly. I've asked a similar question on Cloudy Nights and some people say it will and some people say it wont. I've asked Celestron Tech Support what the rated capacity of the SLT mount is and im waiting for an answer, they are usually pretty good.

Archived