Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just saying "hi"

gsjag

Hi Everyone. Haven't done any viewing since a kid but recently bought an EXT-125 (stop laughing) and have been hooked again. The optics on this scope seem excellent although all the normal mechanical problems apply, which is a shame; so much potential spoiled. Guess that’s the downside of building to a tight, market driven budget. Although only had this for about a month, been looking for an LX200 mak., but Meade don’t make it any more. Never mind, still enjoying the ETX and I’m sure it will give me many years of pleasant viewing.

Pointed to this site by Steve from London Camera Exchange in Devon – thanks Steve.

Looking forward to speaking with you all.

Welcome to Stargazers gsjag. Steve is on a bonus for everyone he recruits :D

Plenty of help and info here, I am sure you will find your LX200 on the secondhand market, keep an eye on UK Astronomy Buy and Sell.

naz :D

[glow=red,2,300]Welcome to the forum[/glow]

EXT-125 (stop laughing)

Won't be laughed at thats a cracking scope owned one myself for a while :D the problems your having id post a thread in the Equipment section if i were you maybe someone here can help out with that..

Regards

James

Hi GS. Welcome to the forum. Don't think anyone will be laughing at your scope - great piece of kit by all accounts. Would be interested to hear about the problems you've had. Send in some reports, observations and don't be shy about asking questions. Not that you will ever get a consistent answer :D

GS A big welcome to Stargazers Lounge matey nothing wrong with the ETX range for price why not tell us about the problems you are incurring with the 125 a few people on here have had one in past so you will be able to pick from a vast knowledge base

Enjoy the forums :D

Wow! Thanks for all the warm welcome notes and words of encouragement on the ETX.

I forgot to also extend thanks to the moderators and site maintainers for giving me the opportunity of joining a forum such as this, and all for Free! So thank you.

Now then, forgive me if the following should be covered in a new post, but I’m not a seasoned user of such forums as these. Please feel free to advise, I won’t take offence.

The problems I have with the ‘scope are with play in the drive, as least I assume its play. When aligning an object the drive seems to have a lag before it moves. Slewing in one direction and changing to another results in a delay in direction change. A bit annoying but guess I’ll learn to live with it.

More of concern is that slewing the scope up or down will result in a short burst of movement in the wrong direction; very off putting when aligning a target. I’ve done all the Meade things like training the drive, so have just put it down as being a “feature”. Please don’t say I need to send it back!

If everything was as good as the optics, it would be a dream.

PS I fancy I did hear a “ching” when Steve pointed me at the site!

:D

It's backlash and is a feature of all driven scopes. Basically it is due to the spacing between the gears. Some backlash is necessary otherwise the gears won't rotate or will be very stiff. It can be adjusted manually on the ETX if you are of a mechanical bent

http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html - fantastic site for ETX owners

http://www.weasner.com/etx/techtips/125tuneup.html - relevant article from the same site

Well, if everyone gets the problem with driven 'scopes, that's great news (in a -ve kind of way). But at least its nothing I need to worry about and may even be something I can cure or at least improve.

Thanks

Pointed to this site by Steve from London Camera Exchange in Devon – thanks Steve.

Steve is on a bonus for everyone he recruits :D

PS I fancy I did hear a ?ching? when Steve pointed me at the site!

:D

I wish :roll:

Welcome aboard gsjag :D

Well, if everyone gets the problem with driven 'scopes, that's great news (in a -ve kind of way). But at least its nothing I need to worry about and may even be something I can cure or at least improve.

Thanks

Reckon you should be able to improve it a lot

Looks like Philip was right, there does seem to be some s/w parameters for controlling slew delay etc. Haven't tried it yet but next thing on the agenda. Thanks for the tip (should have more time RTFM and less time with my head in the clouds). If the problem persists I'll think about asking advice on mechanical adjustments. Perhaps I was a bit hard on Meade with my opening comments? :? But thanks everyone for all your ideas and comments.

Looks like Philip was right, there does seem to be some s/w parameters for controlling slew delay etc. Haven't tried it yet but next thing on the agenda. Thanks for the tip (should have more time RTFM and less time with my head in the clouds). If the problem persists I'll think about asking advice on mechanical adjustments. Perhaps I was a bit hard on Meade with my opening comments? :? But thanks everyone for all your ideas and comments.

Thats what we are about here :D

Welcome to SGL gsjag

RD

Archived