Phillips Toucam Pro colour - new to imaging

Hi All. Advice please. Looking at purchasing the above. Want to get into imaging. Other options than a DSLR. Not too sure on how it operates. Just slide into scope , connect to laptop and off we go.??? Any primers, how to's etc, on the site you experts can point me in the direction of ? Imaging moon and planets i guess is this piece of kits limit? Questions Questions !!! I own a Meade LX90 10 inch SCT. No wedge. Thx in advance as always John

Hi John,

yes a colour webcam will be good for planets but thats about it. You can get them modded but I never found it much good and bought a DSLR. You should be OK for a few seconds worth of capture without the wedge but I am not sure as I have never used an Alt-Az mount.

I wrote this a little over 3 years ago now. It is a little out of date referring to an older version of Registax. The Toucam is really for planetary and lunar imaging.

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/40665-primer-planetary-imaging-toucam.html

If you want to something for planetary and long exposure stuff then you could look at one of these DMK 21AU04 - USB CCD Monochrome Camera or a QHY5.

Here is a Saturn image taken 3 years ago with a toucam using an 8" SCT

post-12794-133877377936_thumb.jpg

Archived