SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Everything you wanted to know about mirror coatings

albedo0.39

I'm very interested in the subject of how I might get as much out of the 'scope as possible and even though my mirrors have just been recoated, cannot help wondering how they might respond to a super high reflectivity of coating (a-la HiLux etc from Orion Optics)

Has anybody any experience ? I have heard 2 schools of thought:-

1) They are really bright - at first - then dull very quickly.

2) They are really bright - and stay like that for ~25 years.

One of the above statements comes from the manufacturer of the coating.

Anyhow, I'd be very interested in hearing views from a long term user / owner of anyone who has had a high reflectivity mirror coating on their scope and what they actually found in real life.

In the meantime however, This link might be of interest if you want to know more about coatings etc.

Cheers

steve

Hello Steve,

Well, as you might have seen from earlier posts in other sections, I have an Orion Optics (UK) 8" f4.5 Europa Newtonian Scope with "Hi Lux" coatings. I also had a "Skywatcher" 8" f5 Newtonian. I was able to do a good comparison test on both scopes, and to be honest I found it hard to detect much of a visible difference between the two scopes. The Orion did give a marginally brighter and wider field of view, but (using the same eyepiece) the Skywatcher gave a bigger magnification.

I would say that the "Hi Lux" coatings do make a difference - but (in my opinion) do not justify the large increase in the price over and above that of the "standard" Skywatcher 8" Newtonian.

Regards,

philsail1

Archived