Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 300P

Hello everyone.

I'm a beginner and recently I ordered from FLO a Skywatcher 10" solid tube version. Dobsonian but his suppliers don't seem to stock this model at the moment. My best alternative seems to be the 12" solid tube version although the 10" one was the more practical choice. I could go for the 10" collapsible version but its more expensive for its size (I would probably have to invest on a light shroud as well) and I have the room to store the solid tube version. So, since I can't get the solid 10" version it seems viser to spend the extra money on more aperture rather than portability.

Your opinions would help me confirm this decision. If there are owners of this model out there do you remember how hard it was to assemble the mirror (since I'm a beginner this is my main concern). Also how hard is it to move from place to place? I will only need to move it within the house (ie from room to balcony) and maybe between two floors (the staircase is wide enough). Operation wise I'm guessing it should be as smooth as the smaller version and I assume it has good quality optics.

Thank you very much,

Eralp

to move the 12" between floors you would definitely need to take the OTA off the base and do it in two parts. The OTA itself is not too heavy but it is big, long and quite awkward so you would need to be very careful going downstairs with it. However, taking it off and putting it back on the base is very simple (literally a minutes work). When it's in one piece the 12" is very big and unwieldy.

Have you tried Rother Valley Optics as they actualy carry the skywatcher dobs in stock instead of drop shipping them.

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skyliner-250px_d13.html

John

No. Will do tomorrow. But the main UK supplier definitely doesn't have the 10" one in stock. If I do decide to buy from them are they reliable?

In the mean time more opinion on the 12" dob will be welcome.

However, taking it off and putting it back on the base is very simple (literally a minutes work).

I assume you are talking about the solid tube version? Because I thought that was only possible with the collapsible one.

I have the solid tube 12" too. In fact, I have the one in Ade Ashford's review. I don't like carrying the whole thing unless it's only a few feet of level ground. You can take the tube off the base very easily, just unscrew two bolts and lift it off. It's a good scope, well built, keeps collimation, clean optics but it just won't work with a DSLR (it's fine with a webcam though). The focal point is just too close to the tube. If I had to choose again, I'd go for the slightly smaller 10" one and get one that can be hooked up to a DSLR and mounted on a GEM (I have bought an EQ6 since). If you're not a dedicated faint fuzzy observer, I think the compromise to 10" is OK if it means keeping the astrophotography option open. Milamber is asking £300 for a 10" f/4.8 Orion Optics (UK) tube which you could consider.

I have the 300p solid and find handling it fairly easy, Taking the tube off the mount takes about 1 min, Ive only had it out a few times and im really impressed with it, i find the mount and scope very easy to control, all in all im very happy but im no expert!! id say go for it!!! :icon_salut:

You say that you are a beginner (welcome to SGL by the way) so I'm wondering if you have actually seen an 8,10 or 12" dobsonian ? - they are large things and the 12" ones really large !.

I guess it depends on your levels physical fitness and strength but I would certainly

think twice about owning a big dob unless I could keep it close to where I observe - I would not attempt stairs with a 10" or 12", even with the tube separated from the mount. I'm probably being over cautious here but that's how I feel about it having owned 8, 10 and 12 dobs.

To be honest, if you are limited to a balcony or coming down 2 floors I really wonder if a large dobsonian is the right scope for you - something more portable might get more use in the long run.

John

I've found Rother Valley Optics to be very reliable and have always had first class service from them. They are open until 8:00 pm so you could check to see if they have one in stock.

The 10" is light enough for most people to carry fully assembled across a flat back garden, but with the 12" carrying the tube separately is the most practical.

You say that you are a beginner (welcome to SGL by the way) so I'm wondering if you have actually seen an 8,10 or 12" dobsonian ? - they are large things and the 12" ones really large !.

I know. That's why the 10" was my first choice. But if I can't get hold of one I'll have to go for the 12". I wanted an instrument that would serve me for a long time without feeling a need to upgrade so that's why I am considering an aperture of at least 10".

I know. That's why the 10" was my first choice. But if I can't get hold of one I'll have to go for the 12". I wanted an instrument that would serve me for a long time without feeling a need to upgrade so that's why I am considering an aperture of at least 10".

If you live anywhere near Doncaster this might be of interest:

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

(I've no connection with the advert)

John

I've had my 300p for 2 years now. As it had been used once at the SGL North Wales starparty, the mirror was already fitted to the cell when I received it. I've had the mirror out more than a couple of times and it's not difficult to re-fit it to the cell - just be careful not to touch the mirror surface and handle it with care.

I fitted a heavy-duty carrying handle on top of the tube (longitudinally) and an extra handle under the drawtube for manual tracking. Even with the handles it's quite tricky to get the tube through 2 doors at right angles to each other between my kitchen and backyard. The bulk of it makes if feel heavier than it actually is. Base goes out first, then the OTA.

I wouldn't like to carry it up and down 2 flights of stairs. If I had to do that, it wouldn't get much use.

Have a look in the member's equipment gallery sub-forum for piccies to get an idea of size - mine's in there somewhere with me stood next to it. (I'm 5ft. 5in tall)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I went for the 300P in the end and it arrived today (thank you Steve for the great service). I decided that it would not be necessary to carry it up the stairs.

On a second note Ade Ashford described the supplied eyepieces of 'surprisingly good quality'. What are other users' opinions? I probably will be using the supplied eyepieces at least to begin with. I ordered a TAL 2X barlow as well so hopefully that should improve them slightly.

Archived