Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

ashenlight

M57 problems!

I am fond of my external organs.

Plus the spare room is a cold lonely place

Gah :cool: just use the time between now and christmas planning what extra bits you are going to buy with it then :icon_salut:

I remember this sort of problem when I first had my 10 inch scope. The wasted time spent trying to find such objects as M57 drove me towards the cowards way out and an investment in go-to.

With the limited time you get in this country due to the climate and all the other hassles it means you can make the most of your sessions at the scope.

Mind you, it still feels pretty good when you can find stuff the old-fashioned way!

Geoff

When I found M81 and M82 for the first time the other night, I have myself a little pat on the back :icon_salut:

How well definded was M81 with your 130pm?

I should be able to be sneeky and get some good quality EP's I just lost out on Ebay on a new Tal 3x Barlow. It went for £16.

It was unmistakable. Don't expect the detail you see in photos, as I'm sure you know, but there was a brighter central region - very obvious and the halo around it was hazy and smudged, but nonetheless beautiful. I can only imagine what it looks like from a location with no LP - must be amazing. I was actually quite surprised how 'big' they were in the eyepiece - it was obvious what it was. I thought it would bea tiny smudge.

The Tal 3x barlow has been brilliant for me - really brings the Moon to life and Saturn is beautiful through it.

You should be able to see it - it is the one DSO I was consistently able to find with my 130PM even in light polluted Whitchurch. But as others have said it is very small. In the 25mm eyepiece it will look like an out of focus star with the ring shape obvious with the 10mm eyepiece. But it will be difficult to find until you have your red dot finder working again (these days I have a 10 x 50 finderscope so I don't have to worry about batteries any more )

I had the same scope as you and could just see it. It always amazes me how small it is. I am now able to give it some mag and it really is worth the effort.

Brian

Hi Amanda, was it you or someone else i gave this link to recently? M57 can definitely be detected in 10x50s binos but you might want to hold off for a bit.. the waxing gibbous Moon is throwing off a lot of light right now.

:icon_salut:

Amanda!

Try and get yourself to a starparty for the best views! http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-events-local-meetings/75879-details-salibury-star-party.html

You'll have really good dark skies and be able to look through other peoples scopes too to get more used to what they look like! Then when you try hunting them down yourself, you'll know what they look like and it'll make your life a hell of a lot easier!

Also your description of a doughnut is pretty much hitting the nail on the head!

Hth

Darren :icon_salut:

Hi Amanda, was it you or someone else i gave this link to recently? M57 can definitely be detected in 10x50s binos but you might want to hold off for a bit.. the waxing gibbous Moon is throwing off a lot of light right now.

perhaps it can be detected in 10x50 bins but, tbh, if you don't know what you're looking for and just where it is (ie if you've not seen it before), you'd probably just see it as a star, no?

M57 in light polluted skies is a difficult one ,use adverted vision to spot it ,it wil leap at you.

I have not been able to see M57 in my 25 x 100 binos but M27 (Dumbbell) is clearly visible in them (even in my LP sky). In the telescope M57 does look like a smoke ring but like all nebulae it is easy to sweep past it. This is pretty much what it looks like in the eyepiece.

post-15108-133877377196_thumb.jpg

perhaps it can be detected in 10x50 bins but, tbh, if you don't know what you're looking for and just where it is (ie if you've not seen it before), you'd probably just see it as a star, no?

Yes, that's the point of my sketch in the linked thread, and also why i post that link in M57 queries. It illustrates the fact that it's very easy to be right on top of M57 without realizing it. :icon_salut:

I've got batteries for my red dot finder now so the next good dark sky I've got i'll be out there. I think I'll go out a bit later so that Vega comes round a bit more, may be easier then.

I don't think getting or using a GOTO is cheating. During the summer months especially when we are likely to be restricted to an hour or maybe 2 of darkness to use, they free up a lot more time for observing or imaging over spending endless minutes searching and trying to manually track.

I observed M57 with a 25mm EP and it barely regestered as a smudge, only really shows up when I image it and even then it's pretty small!

I've been imaging it for a couple of sessions and although i can see it in the images it's still tiny. I know it's "the dark side" but if you have a quick look at this thread you'll see what i mean.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/80883-m57-30-second-shots-need-help-processing.html

Cheers

post-16557-133877377257_thumb.jpg

It took about an hour to find manually for me with three more expert astrogators at Salisbury last year. In fact I swept past it at least twice in the hunt. Even in an 8" scope its very small.

Last week I hit it bang on the nose with the GoTo but because of the moon being around the view was very poor. I tried boosting the view with a light pollution filter and an OIII but because of the moon it was still very weak.

It is a perisher to find manually I find as its so dim. Under light pollution its hard to see but under a truly dark sky I find there are so many stars visible through the optical finder its tough to know which one to zoom in one.

You can just about make it out in a 9x50 finder as a slightly dim and fuzzy 'star' once you know what the finder view is like and what to look for.

Personally I find a red dot finder easier when hunting and seldom use the optical finder except for centering the scope for GoTo alignment on stars.

If your at Salisbury your very welcome to take a look through my scope at it in exchange for a hot cup of cocoa :icon_salut:

Reading this makes me think what a joy of a nicely aligned goto scope is....late one evening last week friday i think just before packing up and heading to bed after capturing some images of saturn, i just hit the tour button checked out M13, M92 and M57, 15mins of Messier joy to finsih the evening off:).

As i have a 3 month old daugther, and usually work the next day too, time is of the essence with the 2 or 3 hours scope time i get.

Amanda, It can be a struggle to find at the best of times. One thing that made a big difference to me from light polluted skies was using a LP filter on the end of the eyepiece. As soon as I used the filter then bang there was the Neb in all its glory.

I tend to spend most of my time imaging these days so I have a LP filter doing nothing at the moment. Amanda if you wanted to borrow it for a while to see if that helps then I will post it to you as I think you will be surprised as to the difference it can make. I would be happy to do that, better it gets used than just gather dust.

Let me know anyway,

Dave Moulton

Hi Dave,

First Light Optics have recently sent me two LP filters to 'try out' to see if they make any difference - I'm waiting for a cloud free night to test them out on galaxies and specifically the M57 area, see if it helps it 'pop.' Thank you so much for the offer Dave, can I ask, what filter is it?

Amanda

Hi Dave,

First Light Optics have recently sent me two LP filters to 'try out' to see if they make any difference - I'm waiting for a cloud free night to test them out on galaxies and specifically the M57 area, see if it helps it 'pop.' Thank you so much for the offer Dave, can I ask, what filter is it?

Amanda

Amanda,

Glad to hear that you have a LP filter option. Mine is and Antares LP filter. They work well on Nebs. I did own a Lumicon LP filter and remember the view of M57 with that. No kidding, it made a big difference. As for galaxies I'm afraid it will not help much if any.

Good Luck, M57 is a gem and well worth the effort to find

Kudos also to FLO in lending you the filters as this is a deep pocket hobby and there is nothing worse than wasting your money on kit that you may not need. Good to test first if you can.

OK good luck with that

Dave

m57 is worth the effort. lovely grey ring. you will now when u find it. use at least medium power.

good luck

mark

Sorry Amanda but it's very big in my 16".

Actually you can't miss it.

I can imagine Mick :) Would love to see it through something as big as your Dob. Perhaps at a starparty :D

Just to give you an idea, Amanda... here's what it looks like through a 120 achro (just under 5" aperture, Meade SWA 13.8mm ep). It's a definite smoke ring... averted vision used, no filter. :)

My best advice (see my reply to you in another post) is to wait till August when this target might be more accessible/advantageous to you. :D

post-13732-133877378623_thumb.jpg