Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Equatorial platforms

Hi

don't touch a North star systems platform

There is lots of stuff on the Yahoo equatoirial platforms group about their platform, and I know someone who imported one.

eqplatforms : Eqplatforms

They are total rubbish, badly made, chaep materials and not even set to the latitude he ordered. Used a furniture castor in place of a bearing, sandpaper in the drive mechanisim, etc, etc.

There are some phots in the Yahoo group section under North Star Dob tracker III

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eqplatforms/photos/album/561436231/pic/list

Join the yahoo group and have a look

I would not touch one if it was FREE.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have never thought about buying one but did make one. It's not that difficult, just needs some planning and enthusiasm.

I'll be making another one for my 16" dob (probably) too in due course.

(and no, I don't fancy making them commercially as I really don't have enough time already.).

here's my twisty turny thread http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/127311-equatorial-platform-dobsonian-telescopes.html

A UK company is now making dob platforms - apparently endorsed by David Lukehurst. Anyone tried one?

equatorial-platforms-uk

I bought one and i've found it excellent.

It's not cheap but I haven't the time to build my own.

I use it every observing session with a 300p flextube (thanks Mike :) ) and it makes observing a real pleasure. Nudging is ok but not nudging is better! I only roughly align it northwards each time and the tracking is excellent. One night with great seeing i was viewing the moon at 625x, i think it would have been hard to enjoy it without the platform. Thumbs up from me

Adrian

Edit: the only downside is it raises the scope by a 6inches or so (I could measure it if you're interested) which makes observing difficult for my kids when the scope is pointed high - need a higher stool...

I use it every observing session with a 300p flextube

Very interesting, I'm thinking of getting one to use with the same sort of scope. How critical is levelling of the base? (I'd be using it on rough or slightly sloping ground). Also, how do you reset it at the end of each tracking run? The instructions at the website make it sound like you need to lift the whole weight of the scope to get the top platform back to its start position.

Very interesting, I'm thinking of getting one to use with the same sort of scope. How critical is levelling of the base? (I'd be using it on rough or slightly sloping ground). Also, how do you reset it at the end of each tracking run? The instructions at the website make it sound like you need to lift the whole weight of the scope to get the top platform back to its start position.

As long as it is reasonably level i dont think it would be a problem, I dont find the reset too difficult - i just lift the motorised corner which is moderately heavy. The tracking run lasts an hour (according to the website which sounds right) and I only tend to use the tracking when at >100x so most sessions i dont reset it at all. Your observing sessions may be different though.

to get tracking at high powers you need to be reasonably level as otherwise the effective angle of latitiude will be out; the main thing to get level is north to south, east to west does not matter so much of course as the platform is decsribing a conic arc. I use an adjustable foot at the south foot and this allows you to adjust if required. broadly to polar align you move the south foot up or down and turn the whole platform clockwise or anti clockwise. that said, usually just plonking it down broadly facing polaris is good enough for visual observing.

Also, how do you reset it at the end of each tracking run? The instructions at the website make it sound like you need to lift the whole weight of the scope to get the top platform back to its start position.
Hi Acey,

I asked a simlar question before I committed to buying and received the following response.

NO need to take the scope off the platform, we never do.Lifting the motor side of the platform with 2 fingers and rotating back to start position is easy with a 100lbs 12" dob on it.
As I said previously, I don't have my platform yet so I can't confirm.

Mike

I would seriously recommend anyone considering an EQP make one themselves. All the details needed are in links here http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/134113-eq-platform-help.html

Yes the equatorial-platforms-uk is available to those who are not DIY savey but a sheet of ply would put you back £18 an EQ3 motor £15-20 off Astroboot, paint £8, some bearings and alloy channel maybe £25.

£460 delivered..... :):icon_eek::):icon_eek:

• 2 months later...

Archived