Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Ek/Glasgow

Sjmcg316

Helloooo there, I'm Steven McGinty

I'm a Physics and Astronomy student from Glasgow and currently just finished my 2nd year of studies - hoping to progress into a 3rd year smoothly :icon_salut:

My interest in astronomy has mainly been literature, academical, some trips to NASA and only very recently have I become more active in observing. Received some excellent tips on a trip a few months ago and hope to become a more avid observer, and hopefully (if the economy allows) buy me my first proper telescope!

Hopefully I'll fit in here, make some contributions and get advice and all that! Feel free to ask me any questions or whatever.

Steven

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL. I have a feeling your studies will not be wasted on this hobby !

As you are studying astronomy "for real" does part of your course actually mention visual observation or these days is it all done using radio / IR / XR / UV etc... ?

What scope you planning on getting ? EELT ? :icon_salut:

Welcome to the SGL Forum Steve. If you are contemplating a telescope, then there is plenty of experience here you can tap into, as far as selection, which will depend on what your specific areas of interest might be. The best of luck as you enter your third year studies.

Ron.:icon_salut:

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL. I have a feeling your studies will not be wasted on this hobby !

As you are studying astronomy "for real" does part of your course actually mention visual observation or these days is it all done using radio / IR / XR / UV etc... ?

What scope you planning on getting ? EELT ? :headbang:

Thanks, I think so too!

We have a full section on all methods of observing in all areas of the spectrum, including visual :cool: A lot of time this year covered CCDs as well which was a very interesting section.

I'm currently at our observatory and recently received the informal training to now use our 16" Meade solo in the dome, which is ace :icon_salut:

Well, if it'll fit in my back garden then I might just :-P Otherwise I may look for something more modest!

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes!

Hi Steven,

Welcome to Stargazer's Lounge.

If you need advice on any aspect of observing or imaging then just ask....there's a wealth of experience on this forum.

Best regards,

Lorna.

Hello Steven

I'm from EK also. Welcome aboard.

There's an answer for everything on here, it's excellent.

Just to let you know, there's a wee group called the Central Scotland Observers Group local to us who organise a few dark site gatherings and talks during the winter months, great for security etc.

The group has another forum for discussion and organising the events. They can be found here Login

Gerry

Archived