Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barnard 168 and IC5146

Another all late night session from 12.00am until 3.00am with both my Astrotrac and widefield imaging rig going strong. The thin crescent Moon wasn't too obtrusive and was setting near the start of the session. I wasted a bit of time deciding what to go for as most of the interesting targets were still in the glare of Gloucester to the North East and East. I finally decided to go for the Cocoon Nebula and Barnards Dark Nebula B168.

Exposure 11 x 10mins.

beyondvision-albums-deep-sky-picture1826

Regards

Kevin

What a view, love it. Can I ask.. there are winding paths where there are no stars (or very few) is there something that causes this? (and I don't mean 'lack of stars') - is it some kind of gas or something?

Yes this object is looking towards the galactic plane of the Milkyway near to Deneb. The dark areas are concentrations of dust that obscure any stars from behind. These objects are know as Dark Nebulae.

Thanks all for the comments :cool:

Regards

Kevin

Archived