Narrowband

Eyepieces - the very least you need.

You need to include the distance from the little mirror (called the "secondary") to the eyepiece. Your aperture is the diameter of the big mirror (called the "primary").

You don't necessarily need to bin your H20mm, but you could do better if you have the funds.

• Like 1

You need to include the distance from the little mirror (called the "secondary") to the eyepiece. Your aperture is the diameter of the big mirror (called the "primary").

You don't necessarily need to bin your H20mm, but you could do better if you have the funds.

so that makes 700mm / 80mm (approx as I dont want to dismantle to test it ) = F8.75

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what are zoom eye pieces used for and are they any good ,do they eliminate the need for multiple ep? was wonderin for a 10" dob but i am a noob and have no idea.

also what are orthoscopic lenses for? thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm throwing a small spanner in here re EP's (for beginners' 1st upgrade type EPs that is)..

I upped my cheapo 10mm/ 20mm ones for next step up types so a Vixen NPL 8mm and a 25mm meade super plossl; so £55. Tbh they were in quality no different at all to my bog std 'came-with' cheapos as I may have mentioned b4- really a waste of money. I'll put it down to a beginer's mistake, but after all the info suggested.. mm Im not quite sure.

Anyway going on instinct & nowt else I plumped for an Astroboot 8x24 zoom ('from a spotting scope') a complete shot in the dark as Id no idea how a "8x24" spotting scope EP relates to scope EP numbers (ie 8mm-24mm??) or if suitable at all really. Now this is -miles- better made.Its also a bit crisper & brighter than the Vixen npl (darker than my cheapo 10mm/ eh? & uncomfortably short eye relief too) very comfortable with vg eye relief/ good solid rubber eyecup, plus a wider field of view too. Approx 7mm-23mm Id say. Only £20 so an absolute bargain surely.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind comments. I have not been really well the last few months, and seldom have the energy to get out after nightfall these days. I've probably had my scope out no more than three times this year, when I wanted to show my great-niece something special. We even missed our annual perseid safari this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great post - but a newcomer can you give me some advice on what i should be looking tp pay me eye-pieces..... i have a Skywatcher Max 127 and want to upgrade the eyepieces it came with ... the scope (and its 2 eyepeices) plus an EQ3 cost abt £390 .... ive managed to get decent views of Jupiter already so im pretty pleased .... but looking at eye pieces i can see a huge range in price .... i realise you get what you pay for in many cases, but with a scope like mine do you have any advice on max-min its worth me paying on each eyepiece ?

Great post - but a newcomer can you give me some advice on what i should be looking tp pay me eye-pieces..... i have a Skywatcher Max 127 and want to upgrade the eyepieces it came with ... the scope (and its 2 eyepeices) plus an EQ3 cost abt £390 .... ive managed to get decent views of Jupiter already so im pretty pleased .... but looking at eye pieces i can see a huge range in price .... i realise you get what you pay for in many cases, but with a scope like mine do you have any advice on max-min its worth me paying on each eyepiece ?

A set of the BST Starguider ED's would be good (http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html), if you want other opinions then I suggest you create a topic about it in this section :).

HTH

• Like 1