Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

The Warthog

Eyepieces - the very least you need.

You need to include the distance from the little mirror (called the "secondary") to the eyepiece. Your aperture is the diameter of the big mirror (called the "primary").

You don't necessarily need to bin your H20mm, but you could do better if you have the funds.

• Like 1

You need to include the distance from the little mirror (called the "secondary") to the eyepiece. Your aperture is the diameter of the big mirror (called the "primary").

You don't necessarily need to bin your H20mm, but you could do better if you have the funds.

so that makes 700mm / 80mm (approx as I dont want to dismantle to test it ) = F8.75

Brilliant post Warthog very informative for beginners and seasoned astronomers alike. I have come back to this post many times and will continue to do so.

Thank you very much warthog a really good read ,and helps to put a newcomer in the right zone for choosing an eyepeice set thanks!!!

what are zoom eye pieces used for and are they any good ,do they eliminate the need for multiple ep? was wonderin for a 10" dob but i am a noob and have no idea.

also what are orthoscopic lenses for? thanks

I'm throwing a small spanner in here re EP's (for beginners' 1st upgrade type EPs that is)..

I upped my cheapo 10mm/ 20mm ones for next step up types so a Vixen NPL 8mm and a 25mm meade super plossl; so £55. Tbh they were in quality no different at all to my bog std 'came-with' cheapos as I may have mentioned b4- really a waste of money. I'll put it down to a beginer's mistake, but after all the info suggested.. mm Im not quite sure.

Anyway going on instinct & nowt else I plumped for an Astroboot 8x24 zoom ('from a spotting scope') a complete shot in the dark as Id no idea how a "8x24" spotting scope EP relates to scope EP numbers (ie 8mm-24mm??) or if suitable at all really. Now this is -miles- better made.Its also a bit crisper & brighter than the Vixen npl (darker than my cheapo 10mm/ eh? & uncomfortably short eye relief too) very comfortable with vg eye relief/ good solid rubber eyecup, plus a wider field of view too. Approx 7mm-23mm Id say. Only £20 so an absolute bargain surely.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I have not been really well the last few months, and seldom have the energy to get out after nightfall these days. I've probably had my scope out no more than three times this year, when I wanted to show my great-niece something special. We even missed our annual perseid safari this year.

Right, then, so with my Skyliner 150 dob, I already have a good quality 25mm eyepiece, and was thinking of adding 9mm & 6mm for medium & high power. Is that about right?

Steve

Hi Steve, that'll leave a huge gap between 9 and 25, you might be better getting a 12, 18 and a barlow, that'll give you the 6 and 9 as a bonus :)

The BSTs will work very well in your scope.

Edited by Spec-Chum

thanks mate: good thinking, that would leave my current 25mm close to 12mm with Barlow, but still...

• Like 1

I wouldn't really recommend barlowing a 25mm EP, the eyerelief often becomes massive.

yeah: wouldn't matter cos I'd have the 12mm - I think you might have helped solve my eyepiece range dilemma!

For what it's worth, I have just updated my page Choosing a Basic Eyepiece Set, which has a slightly different emphasis of criteria to that of the OP's generally excellent advice. (The one major difference I have is on pupil dilation and age)

Thanks for the post, think I'm gonna put up with my standard 25mm for a bit and an 18mm. I've heard good things about BST's, can anyone confirm this?

I've heard good things about BST's, can anyone confirm this?
Yes. I have the 18mm BST Explorer. Very nice eyepiece and astoundingly good value for money.

On the batphone, so expect typos...

Great post - but a newcomer can you give me some advice on what i should be looking tp pay me eye-pieces..... i have a Skywatcher Max 127 and want to upgrade the eyepieces it came with ... the scope (and its 2 eyepeices) plus an EQ3 cost abt £390 .... ive managed to get decent views of Jupiter already so im pretty pleased .... but looking at eye pieces i can see a huge range in price .... i realise you get what you pay for in many cases, but with a scope like mine do you have any advice on max-min its worth me paying on each eyepiece ?

Great post - but a newcomer can you give me some advice on what i should be looking tp pay me eye-pieces..... i have a Skywatcher Max 127 and want to upgrade the eyepieces it came with ... the scope (and its 2 eyepeices) plus an EQ3 cost abt £390 .... ive managed to get decent views of Jupiter already so im pretty pleased .... but looking at eye pieces i can see a huge range in price .... i realise you get what you pay for in many cases, but with a scope like mine do you have any advice on max-min its worth me paying on each eyepiece ?

A set of the BST Starguider ED's would be good (http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html), if you want other opinions then I suggest you create a topic about it in this section :).

HTH

• Like 1

This was the first post I read since joined the forum...

It answered almost all of the questions I had (and some I didn't know I had)..

An excellent post... many thanks.