Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces - the very least you need.

11 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

Twice 75 miles?

What relevance does that have? If the uk were a circle then perhaps, but last time I looked it wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Never used a binoviewer. I did however buy and return 4 pair of Astro binoculars in the $300 range...gave up on them. Is you binoviewer easy to look through? I had a tripod to steady things with the binoculars but viewing was difficult. Maybe an exit pupil problem ?

It's a relatively inexpensive William Optics bino.

Binocase rev new.jpg

Although, this case and the eyepiece pairs I added later are not included with the binoviewing unit. WO do give you a couple of 20mm SWAN's and a Barlow though. They aren't like looking through binoculars and you have to get used to merging the images. Each eyepiece holder has its own dioptre. They can give very three dimensional views and seem more natural to use than a mono EP.

• 2 weeks later...

baader aspheric 36 (72 deg) or sw aero 40 (68 deg), which would be better as a low power EP in a sct8? 

aero has a slightly bigger AFOV, it seems, and the exit pupil, but the aspheric would show more contrast and make filters less effective.

does it even matter? wouldn't both actually vignette because their filed stops are bigger than 38mm?

Admittedly I've never looked through an aspheric 36mm so can't really say which is better. I had a TV 2" 40mm WF on my 8"SCT and it gave 50X,  not super "low power" but very very nice. In my frac it is 23.8X and definitely low power.

I think you meant the baader 36 72 bigger aFOV than aero40 68, only have owned 40 68 with 2032mm sct. My friend had a 32mm for his, which was wasn't very "low power" but was his low power eyepiece. 

I'm not sure if 4 degrees is that much to give or take, but the low power views should be pushed imho. I suppose it also depends on exit pupil demands, glasses and such. For me it worked out great. Next gathering I may hunt down an 8"cat and see what the ES40 68 looks like compared to the old TV40mm WF.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I accidentally ordered 31mm Aspheric and failed to see my mistake when reviewing the order at the checkout. So 40mm will have to come sooner or later. :)

Is SW Aero identical to the TS Paragon clone? 125 euro vs 175 euro...could it really be that the same eyepice is sold for 50 euros more in Germany?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...