Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thetford Forest Star Party 2010

Hi Guys

Since the disaster of trying to arrange the Bosworth field star party a year or so ago, i have not given up, but found another possible venue.

I realise we already have several events like this taking place now, like the ones arranged by Hantsastro and Darren (Salisbury). However i feel this are a little biased to the south west.

for sometime i have wanted to try to arrange something for the midlands- East Anglia region.

The venue is as below

http://www.thetfordforestcampsite.com/index.html

I have touched base with them, it seems they have what would be required, electrical hookup, wash facilities, and of course crystal clear skies etc.

i am still chatting to them now about final details. etc.

I would not be looking to organise this event until sometime next year. In the meanwhile i would like to gauge interest from persons who might be interested in attending?

Many thanks

Al

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would probably be interested in something like this, since its less than an hours drive away.

come 2010 I should have taken the plunge and invested in a scope :cool:

to give people time and notice i am aiming for next autumn, so as not to clash with Kelling Heath.

mind you given kelling is starting to get over subscribed now this could be a good spill over for people. This will be a good site as its far from any major towns and is not on the coast.

I might aim for the same weekend as kelling.

What do you think?

i am in discussions with them now to see what we can do.

Had a quick look at Cartes du Ceil and if it's accurate it will be the Weekends 9th-10th and 30th-31st October

But I would like a second opinion on something as important as this.

So far we have the following showing interest.

Wobbly Bob

Hipolito

Jayla

Doc

Eagles Eye

Could you guys please indicate if you require electric or not and how many of you are coming.

In principle they (Thetford) have agreed this, i am going down this weekend with Mrs AstroTiger to take a look and discuss the whys and wherefores. Of course also we need to be sure that weekend is moonless. Which i THINK it is.

Updated for the above, please also indicate if your coming alone or with family :-)

Wobbly Bob

Hipolito

Jayla

Doc

Eagles Eye

cjh2007 no electric

rawhead with electric

+ 3 non SGL members

Promising so far. Should be able to confirm things this weekend. Keep those names coming though!

Thanks

Cheers, updated for Doc

Wobbly Bob

Hipolito

Jayla

Doc with electric

Eagles Eye

cjh2007 no electric

rawhead with electric

+ 3 non SGL members

Doc: going by their location on the map, with no major towns nearby, plus their testimonial (i understand one of them there is an astronomer himself) the skies are very good indeed.

I will be going their Sunday to take a look. In theory, unless there are any unpleasant suprises, the skies should be better than kelling heath. Thetford forest is not very far from Kelling, so that in itself should be an indicator :-)

It is also not very far from where Tom Boles, the supernova hunter does much of his work.

If i understand correctly, there are a few RAF bases in that area, so providing we're not on that side of the forrest, it should be rather peaceful and dark?

J

There are a fair few RAF bases in that area.

I will ask about that on Sunday, thanks for raising it.

to be honest i would not have thought they would have a campsite near a RAF base especially if low flying planes would be disturbing holiday makers out for a peaceful weekend, of course thats my opinion which has been known to be wrong in the past. ;-)

I can say though that a stones throw from there is another little known village called Stradbroke (i think thats the correct spelling, its near Diss)

another reason i am confident in this location is i used to do a fair amount of astronomy in Stradbroke. the skies are crystal. Provided we are not hit by mist which can plague that area, i think we will have some fantastic skies. I have stayed there for several weekends with no problems from RAF or other air traffic.

(me's getting paranoid now!)

well, it wont clash with Kelling, as that would be futile, but as a kelling overspill certainly.

for instance, i am going to kelling this sept, but i know i will be extremely lucky to get to the next one, hence another motive for me organising this.

So i presume your interested then Phil, shall i add you to the list? how many others?

Will you require electric?

Thanks

Al

Updated for Phil

Wobbly Bob

Hipolito

Jayla

Doc with electric

Eagles Eye

cjh2007 no electric

rawhead with electric

Phil Fargaze no electic

+ 3 non SGL members

FYI all i have researched lunar phases for the that weekend, its the best one of the month for no moon. So all being well tomorrow, we'l be riding with the 8th and 9th October 2010

Will confirm all tomorrow once we've been for a recce.

Many thanks

Archived