Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier 106

RobH

Hello all.

I'm still bashing away at the rich region of Ursa Major/Canes Venatici at the moment and trying to grab as much as I can before the nights finally get too bright!

M106, in Canes Venatici, is generally classed as an Sb type spiral and as such is similar to M31, as is easily seen here.

There’s a fairly moderate black hole at the centre with a mass of 39 million solar masses which consumes about 1% of a solar mass per year.

I first imaged this with a borrowed OSC camera in April, and took over 40x 6 minute subs, but wasn’t happy with the result, so I started again with a mono camera and filters.

There’s a little Ha added to the red, but only at about 20% opacity, as I wanted to avoid the separate ‘jewels’ of deep red that I’ve had with my previous additions of Ha in various images.

With this image, I’ve tried to keep a ‘natural’ feel…whatever that means!

I started processing 3 days ago, but quickly found that the luminance was degenerating into too much noise in the faint areas when I stretched the image, so managed to grab another hour of data last night, which helped tremendously.

It could still do with more and deeper subs though, especially in the colour channels. The core region is fine but there is some interesting blue in the spiral arms, which I’ve only just hinted at here.

Anyway, it’s been a long road but I’m pretty happy with the final result.

Imaged over several nights in May with my TMB 152 and Atik 16HR.

Luminance. 54 x 6 minutes.

Red. 20 x 3 minutes binned 2x2

Green. 17 x 3 minutes binned 2x2

Blue. 20 x 3 minutes 20 seconds binned 2x2

Ha. 10 x 6 minutes binned 2x2.

Hope you like it :cool:

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877374932_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sure do produce the goods Rob. A wonderful job on this one.

A great combination of equipment and skill in this product.

Is this at the scopes ratio of f8 ?.

A superb Image mate.

Ron.:cool:

Rob, thats stunning mate.

10 Hours of data at this time of year shows true dedication and

patience .

At what point is there no advantage to adding more data?

Very nice indeed.

Ant

Archived