Narrowband

Rain Damage To Scope ?????

Just wondering with all this temperamental weather we are having.....

Should you be caught in a heavy shower of rain , or you leave your scope out whilst letting it cool down and get hit by a shower,

What sort of damage are we talking about?

I was intending to set up last night but we had several heavy showers over a 2 hr period , so I chickened out!!!.:cool:

Forecast is good for Friday, Saturday , so fingers crossed.

RTB

Getting dewed up during a nights observing/imaging is one thing, the scope getting drenched in a downpour is another.

It is wise to keep a tarp. handy whilst set up outside. Should a cloudburst occur, it's easy to quickly cover the outfit up. You can take it indoors after the rain stops, and it will still be dry. Well, relatively speaking:D

Ron.:cool:

Getting dewed up during a nights observing/imaging is one thing, the scope getting drenched in a downpour is another.

Not a lot different, really. Water is water, however it arrives.

As others have said, throw a tarp over the scope if it starts raining. Pay particular attention to keeping water out of the handset if you have one. Point the scope about 5 degrees nose down when leaving it, this will help delay dewing of the objective / corrector plate as well as keeping it dry if a shower occurs.

Never leave the handset lying on its back or face on a surface that might get flooded.

When you bring the scope in, fit the caps first, wait 5-10 mins to allow condensation to maximise then dry off (roughly) with an ordinary towel.

If I never went out when there was a risk of a shower, I'd not see much. Be sensible & enjoy the gaps between the clouds.

Hi RTB.

A light shower hit a friends SCT whilst he left it cooling several years ago. He brought it in and left it C lens down to dry off. Within a couple of days he had mildew growing around one side of the corrector. Not a pretty sight.

Dave.

I have taped a couple of silica gel pouches onto the inside of Protective caps for my scopes, I also have them inside a couple of "pierced" 1.25" caps with pouches in them and fit them in the focuser...

BBQ covers make good scope covers...

Peter....

Just drill a small (maybe 1/4 inch?) hole through your primary mirror and the base of your tube. This will allow water to drain right out.

I don't see any grinning Smiley's, but I do hope you're kidding.:cool::D

I use a Telegizmos cover for my 10" and EQ6 Pro. When there's gonna be a real storm or high winds I usually take down just the 10" tube and leave the mount covered (I havent needed to drift polar align since last year :-P). Used the telegizmos like this for 2 years with no problems. Even with tube mounted, the cover keeps the mount and controllers nice and dry inside and keeps things cool during hot summer days.

ps I use the standard version not the 24/7 one, they costs to much for my liking!

Matt

Archived